OK, I still don't know what to think

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zummy

Easily intrigued. Fickle.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most of you feel that a program with many subspecialty fellowships is a con because of the competition for getting those cases? How much of a factor is that when ranking your programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Zummy said:
Do most of you feel that a program with many subspecialty fellowships is a con because of the competition for getting those cases? How much of a factor is that when ranking your programs?

i think it depends on the program. and how much they protect the residents' time. those that do (or those that i believe do from residents and attendings) are quite clear about their policy on the role of fellows vs residents. that, to me, demonstrates at least an awareness and addressing of potential issues re: fellow/resident case loads. they allocate the fellows and chiefs to different but complimentary services. or allow the chiefs to dole out the case load for the week. however they choose to address it, acknowledging the need to keep that in mind, to me, is a good sign.
so i guess i go on vibe and clarity of explanation. because lots of good places, naturally, also have good fellowships. that's to be expected. but even with fellows, i still want to train there. but it's a balance.