OK time for premed Myth # 123

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldpro

MS IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From time to time I like to shake things up here, it's interesting and we learn

this Myth is "there are new medical schools opening up so the Caribbean will close down" Impossible

WHY? well because some people have low stats and will never go to medical school except for the Caribbean

And this:

In 2006, 39,108 people applied to medical schools in the United States through the American Medical College Application Service. 17,370 of them matriculated into a medical school for a success rate of 44%.

This from this site:

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2006/2006summary.htm

so in the USA there will be over 17,000 new spots for Medical students?

In fact more spots in the US I predict there will be even more trying to get in

there is also about to be the Biggest shortage of Docs in history,

Mark my words, NP's and PA's will be taking our place since there is not enough DOCs to fill the need.

Members don't see this ad.

It's better for doc's to get behind PAs now and fear the NPs. At least a PA works under a doctor, which doesn't undermine autonomy. NPs, on the other hand, have practically unlimited autonomy in some areas, which is the real threat.

PA :thumbup:
NP :thumbdown:

It's better for doc's to get behind PAs now and fear the NPs. At least a PA works under a doctor, which doesn't undermine autonomy. NPs, on the other hand, have practically unlimited autonomy in some areas, which is the real threat.

PA :thumbup:
NP :thumbdown:

I do not see them as threats but as a big help if the role is used right, problem is that "Joe Public" thinks an RN is almost a Dr. and surely a NP and PA is the same? We keep telling them no but insurance companies love to pay the rates for them but then whine about liability a 2 edged sword IMO

I think NP's in OB are highly needed and in FP, Peds and IM Possibly in specialties but with MD's / DO's supervising care, and seeing the patients every so often, In my practice no patient will ever go years without seeing me in my book its not good Patient care, we are supposed to be "Team members" and thats how I look at it!