Ok to use same secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whateva07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If Im applying again, and the essay question is exactly the same..is it ok to use the same secondary from last yr? Will the schools look at my past application and if they did would they care i sent them the same essay?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends. The answer to this question is yes and no. The first time I applied to medical school, I applied extremely late in the cycle. So late, in fact, that I submitted my secondaries from my second application attempt only about 8 months after I submitted my first attempt.

Needless to say, not a lot changed on my essays. I felt like whatever I wanted to say I said it right way the first time around. Of the 20 schools I applied to, I probably sent 7 of them the exact same essays I did before. I
got interviews at 4 of those 7 schools. One school outright rejected me a week after I re-submitted my essays from last year (UCI).

Most people will say that you should re-write it. If you felt like you were thorough the first time around, it's hard to re-write the essays.

Always re-write! Even if the core message is the same, re-word it! After I got rejected from UWash last year, I had a chance to meet with the Dean of Admissions to talk about my app, and as she was going down the list of elements, she told me, and I kid you not, "Your personal statement is excellent, however, you have to re-write everything, if you don't we won't even look at you, it will look like you didn't care enough to give it the time it deserves. In the case of your personal statement, I'd love to tell you not to change it, but since I can't, I suggest keeping all of the same elements and just re-working it." While she did say this specifically about my PS, I got the impression that it extended to all essays in your file. Obviously the "we won't even look at you" policy will probably vary from school to school, but why chance it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Always re-write! Even if the core message is the same, re-word it! After I got rejected from UWash last year, I had a chance to meet with the Dean of Admissions to talk about my app, and as she was going down the list of elements, she told me, and I kid you not, "Your personal statement is excellent, however, you have to re-write everything, if you don't we won't even look at you, it will look like you didn't care enough to give it the time it deserves. In the case of your personal statement, I'd love to tell you not to change it, but since I can't, I suggest keeping all of the same elements and just re-working it." While she did say this specifically about my PS, I got the impression that it extended to all essays in your file. Obviously the "we won't even look at you" policy will probably vary from school to school, but why chance it?

Ohh too late for my PS...I already submitted.

Then why ask this question if you already submitted your secondary? :confused:

I think he submitted his primary but not his secondary

I'd say, rework your essays even if it is the same message. The logical thing seems that if you did not make it the first time around, there is a high probability that you will get the same results if you do not bring anything new and fresh to your profile.

At least show that you have done something meaningful, gained experience, new perspectives or more maturity. Thruthfully, I think most adcom will expect you to have done something new and not sitting down on your hands all year doing nothing. Show them that you are a better candidate this time around.:thumbup::luck:

If Im applying again, and the essay question is exactly the same..is it ok to use the same secondary from last yr? Will the schools look at my past application and if they did would they care i sent them the same essay?
I recycled secondaries. Make sure that any appropriate updates are done - i.e., if they ask "What did you do this last year?", actually update your answer instead of copying and pasting.