OK to wait to take Calculus after Trigonometry?

Started by nixm01
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nixm01

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, quick question:

I just got done with Trigonometry and will be taking Physics I & II over the summer. I made a 107% in Trig and plan to make A's in both Physics classes. I am scheduled to take Calculus I next semester since I was told by my professor not to wait between Trig and Calc.

My dilemma:
I just found out that the guy teaching my Organic I Lab (which I am also taking next semester with Calculus) is a monster and makes his lab much more difficult than the Organic class; supposedly VERY hard to get an A. There IS another Organic lab being taught by someone much less demanding (which would be very helpful as my GPA means everything and I am currently bringing it up). This lab, though, is at the same time as my calculus class (the only one left) and I will only be able to take one or the other.

So, I either take:
A) Stick with my 17 hour semester with very demanding organic lab and keep my calculus class so no break between Trig and Calc.

OR

B) Take the less demanding Organic Lab but have to skip calculus this semester and have to take it the next semester. By doing this, I will have a gap between Trigonometry and Calculus and I am not sure how that will affect my possible performance when I do take calc?

Any advice?!

Thanks guys,
nixm01
 
BTW, my Trig professor is supposed to be one of the most difficult math professor at the school and he has told me that I should be fine in Calculus and going into that class should be easier for me than it was for me to go into trig (as it has been 5 years since I took Algebra -- which could be another issue against me waiting to take calculus)

I'm not a genius in math, I just studied my @$$ off and Trig seemed to come, some-what, easier to me.

Thanks guys...
 
Calc 1 doesn't require a substantial amount of trig, and if you got an A in trig you'll get an A in Calc no matter when you take it. Taking the easier orgo lab class seems to be the better option. No med school is going to know who is the harder or easier teacher.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Calc 1 doesn't require a substantial amount of trig, and if you got an A in trig you'll get an A in Calc no matter when you take it. Taking the easier orgo lab class seems to be the better option. No med school is going to know who is the harder or easier teacher.

Agree with this.
 
you also use trig in physics (if only the basic stuff) so it should be ok.

i've always found it mildly amusing when people say they plan to get A's in a class. does anyone plan to get B's or C's? i do it too, so not picking on you, i just think it is funny.
 
To the OP: Outside of the basic trig functions, there really isn't any trig involved in Calc I. Don't sweat it.

i've always found it mildly amusing when people say they plan to get A's in a class. does anyone plan to get B's or C's? i do it too, so not picking on you, i just think it is funny.

I don't know, if you plan on doing horribly in all of your classes, you'll either:
(a) Meet your expectations
(b) Be pleasantly surprised

On the other hand, if you plan on making A's in everything, you'll either:
(a) Meet your expectations
(b) Be very disappointed

Just saying ... low expectations haven't failed me yet. :laugh:
 
you also use trig in physics (if only the basic stuff) so it should be ok.

i've always found it mildly amusing when people say they plan to get A's in a class. does anyone plan to get B's or C's? i do it too, so not picking on you, i just think it is funny.

You would be surprised.

There are people whose best efforts will put them in the B or C range.
 
Calc 1 doesn't require a substantial amount of trig, and if you got an A in trig you'll get an A in Calc no matter when you take it. Taking the easier orgo lab class seems to be the better option. No med school is going to know who is the harder or easier teacher.
this. /thread
 
UPDATE:

To the poster who thought it amusing that I "planned" to make A's in my summer physics I and II, I made a 97 in I and a 98 in II -- the top of my class in each course 🙂

Just poking some fun 😛

And I have taken all of your advice to skip calc for now, take the "easier" orgo lab available this Fall, focus on my MCAT that I start studying for in May and just take calc after MCAT.

👍