Ok well here I am

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here, I am looking at my transcripts, and I'm wondering whether or not I'll ever get into a medical school, my overall gpa is around a 3.45 and my science gpa is about a 3.33, and I haven't taken the MCAT yet, currently I am in spring semester of my sophomore year (which is about to end) and I am going to be a junior, and I have not taken Orgo 1 and Physics 1, I have taken Bio 1 and 2 and General Chem 1 and 2, I will not be taking classes this summer because I am going out of country, so my question to you guys is when should I take the MCAT and submit all my admissions apps to make sure that if I do get an acceptance it will right after graduation...thanks guys for the advice!!!:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Here, I am looking at my transcripts, and I'm wondering whether or not I'll ever get into a medical school, my overall gpa is around a 3.45 and my science gpa is about a 3.33, and I haven't taken the MCAT yet, currently I am in spring semester of my sophomore year (which is about to end) and I am going to be a junior, and I have not taken Orgo 1 and Physics 1, I have taken Bio 1 and 2 and General Chem 1 and 2, I will not be taking classes this summer because I am going out of country, so my question to you guys is when should I take the MCAT and submit all my admissions apps to make sure that if I do get an acceptance it will right after graduation...thanks guys for the advice!!!:love:

Take the mcat when you are ready...do not rush or overwhelm yourself because you want to take it at this particular time. Set a date and make sure you are ready. If you want to start med school right after graduation (4th year I presume), then you need to take the mcats during your junior year.

Take it next spring, the spring of your junior year. Make sure you finish up your pre-reqs this coming school year. Apply in June after you take your MCAT. Make sure you have lots of great ECs, LORs, and apply early. GOOD LUCK!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with drmom. take it spring of your junior year. you should have had all the courses you need to cover the material on the mcat, and that way if you need to retake it you can do so in august or the following spring and still make it to med school the fall after you graduate.

if you're applying to do schools then your numbers look pretty good. spend some time shadowing a DO - that reaffirms to the schools that you're really interested in and familiar with osteopathy. EC's look good too, but you should be able to get that taken care of pretty easily by getting involved with a student org on your campus. this is also a good way to gain some leadership experience (i joined AED, premed honor society and actually wound up serving as an officer my second year - we did a lot of volunteer work).

good luck!

I would wait until you've had Physics I and II, biochemistry and physiology. I scored "well enough" on the MCAT, but feel like I could have really improved my scores if I'd have waited until having those courses. I had taken the physics courses, but really should have studied harder in that area...it was the hardest part for me. After taking the MCAT, I took biochem and phys, and realized (quickly) that alot of that info was on the test.

You could take the exam in the winter after Orgo/Phys I, while you're starting Orgo/phys II. You could also wait until you've finished I&II and take it over the summer. I personally think it's hard to study for the MCAT during the semester when you're taking other classes. The summer would give you more time to focus. By the time you take it, they might have the turn-around for scores down to 14 days, as they're aiming for. So if you take it in June or even August of the summer before senior year, you'll still be able to apply as a senior. August might be a bit on the late side for MD schools, but it won't be as big a deal for DO schools since our cycle runs later.