OKAP results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macro0rchidism

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So , what´s a good Okap score for a competitive surgical retina fellowship???

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard OKAP scores range from 40th to 99th for competitive fellowships/spots (retina, plastics) at prestigious programs, with some preference given for OKAP scores over some sort of cut-off (i.e 70th, 80th percentile).

Program reputation, research and solid letters also helping to get the interviews. Phone calls may be the trump cards no matter which sub-specialty, as opththo is a small small world.

Anyone else hear anything?

Most programs (surgical retina) don't ask for it from what I gathered. Granted I only applied to 20 programs but only 3 asked for them. From what I heard on the interview trail, this seemed about the same for everyone else.

I don't think most care honestly. Also they are not supposed to be used this way and the OKAP folks discourage fellowships from asking for them. The programs have to get them from you, AAO or your PD will not give them out.

Most programs (surgical retina) don't ask for it from what I gathered. Granted I only applied to 20 programs but only 3 asked for them. From what I heard on the interview trail, this seemed about the same for everyone else.

I don't think most care honestly. Also they are not supposed to be used this way and the OKAP folks discourage fellowships from asking for them. The programs have to get them from you, AAO or your PD will not give them out.

I disagree. I had to send my OKAP scores to at least 30-40% of the surgical retina programs I applied to (applied to about 35). Most places had me send it to them directly along with other supplemental info (ie. photo, usmle scores, etc.).

I don't think they are that important in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to letters of rec and other components of the application, but they are asked for.