Ophtho or bust!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2000
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Alright, this forum is way too dead for my liking. So what is everyone using for OKAPs this year?

I'm rereading parts of the BCSC series, Chern review, Chern questions and side notes. Trying my best to go through Last Minute Optics (old edition) this week.

So much info, so little time!

Btw, First Aid for Ophthalmology Boards is coming out Feb 2011. We'll see how it compares to Chern/Friedman.

G'luck guys!

MR1

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I mainly use the Friedman review book, my optics notes, and some path CD (maybe Wills). I don't stress much about this test much though for better or worse. I probably should though, maybe I will more next year.

MstaKing10

7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I mainly use the Friedman review book, my optics notes, and some path CD (maybe Wills). I don't stress much about this test much though for better or worse. I probably should though, maybe I will more next year.
I seem to stress less and less about it each year, good to know I'm not alone. Friedman's, Chern's, last minute optics and Pearl's of Wisdom give me the most bang for my buck.

Good luck to all my fellow test takers.

DOCTORSAIB

Ophtho or bust!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2000
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sounds like the Friedman books is quite popular. Most of my coresidents are using it as well. Seems like a nice book with lots of colored photos, tables and uses a systems-approach.

As far as not stressing about the OKAPs, you guys are probably right. I feel like I'm in somewhat of a dilemna. On one side I hear "don't stress, you're just a 1st year, no one expects you to do well."

And on the flip side I hear "1st year is your best shot of doing well as no one else studies (which I find hard to believe) and the faculty may look at you differently should you NOT do well."

I'm so confused! :confused: haha.

plasticbuddy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
Sounds like the Friedman books is quite popular. Most of my coresidents are using it as well. Seems like a nice book with lots of colored photos, tables and uses a systems-approach.

As far as not stressing about the OKAPs, you guys are probably right. I feel like I'm in somewhat of a dilemna. On one side I hear "don't stress, you're just a 1st year, no one expects you to do well."

And on the flip side I hear "1st year is your best shot of doing well as no one else studies (which I find hard to believe) and the faculty may look at you differently should you NOT do well."

I'm so confused! :confused: haha.

If you are having trouble with verbal pimping, its your chance to prove you know your stuff but perhaps can't respond as well orally.

Its also a nice motivator to keep you studying.

If you are doing well in the clinic / OR it doesn't really matter that much.
If your goal is to score a top fellowship, it doesn't really matter that much.

There was a study from Iowa that showed that OKAPS didn't have much to do with clinical acumen or success....

thats just 1 take, i am sure other people put more stress on it.

MR1

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I think it depends on the program, at mine mainly my chairman is the only one that seems to care. At other programs, your attendings might look poorly on you if you bomb it but only you can answer that by asking your fellow residents. Also if you are kicking a** in clinic and the OR and doing good research I think it means even less because your attendings know you are good, whereas if you are struggling it might raise their opinion of you.

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
i agree that it just depends on your program. i would just ask your co-residents what it's like when you get back your scores in june.

DOCTORSAIB

Ophtho or bust!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2000
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
WOW that was hard. That's all I gotta say...:oops:

Jokestr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I third that...harder this year with much more nit-picky questions.