okay, here's a quick one

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moe_4eva

doprepd on my haed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I haven't heard too much bad news yet (rejected from 2 of the 11 schools I applied to), I figure I might as well ask.

If I do end up reapplying, is it acceptable to keep your same essays? Those were very strong in both my initial and secondary apps, and really the only thing I could improve would be my MCAT (29R), so I'm just curious. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If I do end up reapplying, is it acceptable to keep your same essays?
The short answer is yes. However, if you end up reapplying, there should be something in your application that shows how you improved yourself since your last application. If you completed additional coursework, improved your MCAT score, participated in new volunteer experiences, completed a research project, etc., you probably should mention this somewhere in your essay.

only change your reapp essay if you have significant changes in your experiences. reflecting that you actively did something to improve your application content will show initiative and a genuine interest in your application effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a re-applicant for the class of 2009 and I chose to re-write my essays (both the AMCAS and the secondaries), mainly because they already have the old essays on file in admissions. Each school keeps a record of what you submitted and when I re-applied, my interviewers generally had a thicker folder than most. If your essays are excellent from the first time around, they will review them from your old file. Also, I didnt want to appear as though I had not put forth my best effort to address their concerns from my previous application year - I used the essays as a chance to directly deal with why I was rejected in the first place!

By the way, I know how hard it is to write those so please dont be discouraged. I was waitlisted at five schools the first time around, and the second round, I was accepted at four schools (three of which had previously waitlisted me) and waitlisted again at two. One more thing: I took two years off between application rounds - some problems (like applying late) are easy to fix and would probably not require changing your essays very much, whereas other problems (like a weak academic history) take longer!! Be realistic about your weaknesses and plan accordingly.

GOOD LUCK to you!!!! :)

How does reapplication work with AAMC? (not to hijack)

I took the MCAT in August for 2007 matriculation. Now, I'm thinking of reapplying and registered to retake the MCAT in May for 2008 matriculation. I noticed that the MCAT receipt has my current AAMC number that I used for 2007 matriculation applications.

When we reapply, do we keep that same eight digit number? Or do I have to update my MCAT registration?

only change your reapp essay if you have significant changes in your experiences. reflecting that you actively did something to improve your application content will show initiative and a genuine interest in your application effort.

x's 2:thumbup:

Just wanted to share my experience with not rewriting my essays. I applied last cycle and didn't get into any schools. I did not rewrite any of my essays because I really didn't have anything to add since I didn't think I'd need to reapply. This allowed me to turned in my primary and secondaries very early and I ended up with 4 interview invites by early September (I only applied to 9 schools) and I just received my first acceptance. So I say if you have something to add then go ahead and add it but if you don't and you're satisfy with your essays then turn in your secondaries as soon as possible. An early application really does help.

Going along with the OP, what if you do an SMP? When do you apply? If you apply this july, do you change your essays even though you haven't completed or experienced the SMP? or apply later?

For example, a hypothetical in my case, I am applying for matriculation in '07. Life doesn't work out as planned, I apply to an SMP for the next year to strengthen my app. Do I apply in July '07 for the '08 year or do I wait until I'm done with the SMP and then apply for the '09 year?

Hopefully, this isn't confusing.