Oklahoma Board of Pharmacy has changed the designation of Registered Pharmacist (RPh)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdpharmd?

Turning lead into gold
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this seem silly to anyone else? Now a R.Ph = D.Ph, but they are exactly the same thing? I wouldn't know what a D.Ph even was until 5 minutes ago.

Oklahoma Board of Pharmacy has changed the designation of Registered Pharmacist (RPh) with Doctor Of Pharmacy (DPh).

http://www.pharmacy.state.ok.us/nslt0701.pdf

"REGISTERED PHARMACIST DESIGNATION CHANGE
Governor Keating has signed into law a change of the designation "Registered
Pharmacist" (the suggested language for the legislation was presented by OPhA).
Effective November 1, 2001, Oklahoma pharmacists will be licensed as a "Doctor of
Pharmacy" and use the abbreviation of D.Ph. This is a designation and not a degree.
Several states have implemented this change. The Board has gone on record to proceed with new certificates with the new designation and will grandfather registered pharmacists
that wish to apply for the new certificate. These pharmacists will also be allowed to keep
their current certificate for sentimental reasons. Watch the Board website for more
information."

http://www.pharmacy.state.ok.us/nslt0102.pdf

DOCTOR OF PHARMACY CERTIFICATE
The Board has received almost 1,500 applications for the new D.Ph. certificate since
November 1st. Don't delay sending in your application. The Board will set a deadline for
currently licensed pharmacists to apply during the January meeting. Applications are available
from the Board office or can be downloaded from the Board web site.

Board Members (note new designation)

Mr. Jerry Allen, D.Ph. President Weatherford 2000-2005
Mr. James O. Spoon, D.Ph. Vice-President Sand Springs 2001-2006
Ms. Janis K. McAllister, D.Ph. Member Woodward 1999-2004
Mr. William "Bill" Osborn, D.Ph. Member Miami 2002-2007
Mr. Gordon RIchards, D.Ph. Member Shawnee 2003-2008
Dr. Diana Hampton Public Member Edmond co-terminous with Governor

Sorry for the weird formatting, It's from cut and paste from acrobat from the OK Board's website.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I don't care if people call me Mr....but I thought they would change RPH to PharmD if something like that would ever happen.....

What a waste of time...you would think they would have something better to do...

Truly,
SteveL, D.Ph wannabee

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be much more impressed with something you could take to the bank

Originally posted by baggywrinkle
I would be much more impressed with something you could take to the bank
Hmmm, you could sign your checks "D.Ph."! ;)

Oh for goodness sake! The whole point of not grandfathering everybody was so that the designation "Doctor of Pharmacy" would MEAN something. People who want to be called a doctor should go get a doctorate.

Just my .02 (disclaimer: not an ISMP-approved abbreviation)

Originally posted by group_theory
Hmmm

now I wonder how many people will confuse the new D.Ph with a Ph.D :)

Or better yet, a pharmacist with a PhD (perhaps in pharmacology)

John Doe, D.Ph, PhD

or

John Doe, PhD, D.Ph

John Doe, Ph.D, D.Ph, DPM ;)