Old academic LORS, update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctornetwork

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two years ago I completed my post bac program and applied to med schools that cycle. Didn't get in anywhere and decided/had to work in the meantime. I won't be applying again until the 2018 cycle though. I had a committee letter, but by 2018, my academic letters will be 3-4 years old. I have newer letters from my more recent activities though.

Taking more classes isn't really an option, so would these old academic letters + my more recent letters from supervisors be good enough? If I ask my letter writers to just put a new date, does that really make a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

I suggested you have them update the letter

I see. I tried looking up what these writers would include as an update and could only find posts where the writers would mention activities the subject participated in since the letter was written. My letter writers were new teachers when I requested the letters and shortly left academia, so they aren't sure what to include exactly in an updated letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was 4 years out from my undergrad degree and had three letters from an activity and two science professors from undergrad plus two recent letters (a supervisor and an activity). This seemed work fine for me. I was told you want to demonstrate your handling of coursework and if you haven't had any since undergrad (like in my case) then those professors are in the best place to speak to that. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was 4 years out from my undergrad degree and had three letters from an activity and two science professors from undergrad plus two recent letters (a supervisor and an activity). This seemed work fine for me. I was told you want to demonstrate your handling of coursework and if you haven't had any since undergrad (like in my case) then those professors are in the best place to speak to that. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So even though your academic letters were 4 years old, at the very least they showed you, at some point, had a solid handling of your academics? I'm sure your great GPA and MCAT helped!