Old coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lugnut

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read on a few other threads about some schools having cut-offs on pre-reqs. Will the other schools consider me if I have old coursework with good GPA, Mcats, tons of clinical experience, volunteering, shadowing, good LOR's, etc.. or will most schools require me to have recent coursework to evaluate my abilities. Obtaining LOR's is the other diffuculty I can see with old coursework due to the lack of pre-med committee and/or science professors that remember me much less recommend me. Will some schools accept other LOR's from physicians and mentors that I have worked with?

Members don't see this ad.

Lugnut said:
I have read on a few other threads about some schools having cut-offs on pre-reqs. Will the other schools consider me if I have old coursework with good GPA, Mcats, tons of clinical experience, volunteering, shadowing, good LOR's, etc.. or will most schools require me to have recent coursework to evaluate my abilities. Obtaining LOR's is the other diffuculty I can see with old coursework due to the lack of pre-med committee and/or science professors that remember me much less recommend me. Will some schools accept other LOR's from physicians and mentors that I have worked with?
depends how old the courses are 2 years? 10 years?

Lugnut said:

Your science LORs must be from one of your previous professors. You can't substitute with additional LORs from physicians and mentors.Not sure if that is your exact question.

HunterGatherer said:
Your science LORs must be from one of your previous professors. You can't substitute with additional LORs from physicians and mentors.Not sure if that is your exact question.

yeah, that's gonna be the bigger issue. i don't know of any osteopathic schools that have place an expiration date on prereqs. for example, i took gen chem and calculus in 1995, and it's never come up. your mcats do need to be recent, though. most schools require them to be no more than 2 or 3 years old.

for letters, i'd recommend contacting the professors you had a long time ago and see if they can help you out.