OLD DAT Destroyer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marymatthews

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The 2006 Version of the DAT Destroyer book was given to me by a friend. Should I buy a newer version or is the 2006 version good enough to study from? Has a lot changed from 2006 to 2010? Thoughts?
Other than Kaplan and Cliffnotes, where else can i get practice PAT questions in book form (paper). I dont mean like the computer form like CDP and Topscore.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Buy the new version. I have both versions, 2006, and 2010.

The 2010 stuff has a ton more info. Secondly, 2006 was when Orgoman first gave out the DAT destroyer- thus, it has been revised sufficiently over the past four years.

There are some similar questions from 2006-2010, but for the most part, its mostly new material.

If you had the 2008-2009- I would tell you to skip out on it, but I think the most recent is crucial for success, the 2006 version doesn't cut it.

So should I buy the 2008 or 2009 version instead of the 2010 since it would be cheaper?

you should get the latest version of destroyer it has much more questions than the older ones and more relevant questions for the new test and it comes with the math destroyer which is very helpful with kaplan blue book and topscore i wudn bother with the old stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually bought the 2009 destroyer + organic chem odyssey last year and am taking the DAT this June. Do you guys actually think that it is worth another $200 for the new destroyer+math destroyer(i don't have the math destroyer)? I'm thinking between getting the math destroyer vs. CDM, but I just feel like I should stick with 2009 destroyer.. any suggestions? :)

I would keep the 2009 version. The 2010 has some new questions, but not that many and especially not $200 more. Like 30 per section I would say or less. Someone did a comparison on here before. Try a search.

I have the 2010 version

the 1st section is organic chem: pgs 7-67, 232 problems
orgo chem solutions pgs 71-125
2nd section gen chem pgs 129-181, 242 problems
gen chem solutions pgs 185-240
3rd section biology pgs 243-311, 377 problems
biology solutions pgs 315-362
4th section QR pgs 367-385, 153 problems
QR solutions pgs 389-425

hope this helps

not trying to bash anyone... but I never underestand why students don't like to buy the latest version? Its only $200 or is it $250 bux (if you include MATH destroyer).... and its something you invest for your future. Why would anyone not do this investment :confused:

not trying to bash anyone... but I never underestand why students don't like to buy the latest version? Its only $200 or is it $250 bux (if you include MATH destroyer).... and its something you invest for your future. Why would anyone not do this investment :confused:

Yeah I would def invest $200 if I hadn't bought the 2009 destroyer+odessey.. actually last year i didn't know sdn and I thought the destroyer wouldn't change that much--so I got it just in case(which was a bad idea coz I haven't studied it yet). I'm just not sure of putting another extra 200 bucks just for the extra Qs... :p that's all.
I'm thinking of getting either the math destroyer or the CDM. I don't think I need both..
Thanks for all of you guys who replied.. You guys rock! :thumbup:

I just bought an old edition when I was going to take the DAT but then I had second thoughts as to if I wanted to go to dental school so I waited to take the exam. So at the time it was just like slightly under a year old. :)

Honestly I wasn't directing my comment to anyone here in particular. Its just sometimes I see students (here on SDN and my college) always looking for wayyy older versions (Im talking 2008 and under) because they claim "I don't have the money for a new edition"..... HELLO DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW EXPENSIVE GETTING INTO AND PASSING DENTAL SCHOOL IS? If you don't have 250 for a book that CAN help you get into dental school, then you probably don't even have $$$ for the application process.

Ibracadabra, if your DAT is from 2009, I think your okay, there is only like 10 or 20 additional questions (for each section) from 2009 to 2010, that I don't think its going to make THAT much of a difference.

As far as MATH destroyer and CDM goes, yeh don't bother getting both (unless you want to spend 5 hours a day doing QR from now till the day you take the test). Trust me MATH destroyer is a handfull esspecially if your goal is to master those 400 problems.

Just out of curiosity, is the DAT Destroyer course/class worth it? Do they cover all topics of the DAT during the course? They use the same books that they sell online? How is the class overall?

the destroyer course if you can take it an ur in the area take it but register soon .........you will cover everything in detail and more and you will only use the newest destroyers available and get dr romano to teach you everything you need to know for the dat........so if you can yes go for it u will not regret it

the destroyer course if you can take it an ur in the area take it but register soon .........you will cover everything in detail and more and you will only use the newest destroyers available and get dr romano to teach you everything you need to know for the dat........so if you can yes go for it u will not regret it

You go over everything on the DAT in class?
A friend of mine who took the course said they only go over science and math only. Is this true?

Hey guys, I'm about to start studying for the DAT and I was wondering if the Math Destroyer (and the whole destroyer series) is the best and only investment to make in order to do extremely well in the DAT?? Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions...

only thing to invest in? Its not a study guide, so you can't just relay on the destroyer books alone. The destroyer books are basically difficult questions with answers that have good explanations, that is. The questions are alot more difficult than the DAT.

The best self-study combo around SDN is this:
-Kaplan blue book
-Cliffs AP biology
-your old biology text book for reference
-DAT destroyer (and many nowadays are also getting MATH destroyer)
-Crack PAT DAT software (10 test version)

its necessary to get CDP with 10 tests? not 5?
i heard you can just get 5 and do them over over again because you wont actually remeber all five tests
you can just repeat the tests and you most likely wont remember the questions you did before

its necessary to get CDP with 10 tests? not 5?
i heard you can just get 5 and do them over over again because you wont actually remeber all five tests
you can just repeat the tests and you most likely wont remember the questions you did before

I was kinda PAT-******ed. 5 tests wouldn't have done it for me. I got 10 test version but only did 8. By time I got to test 7 and 8 I was at about 19-21 level