Old IMG..any suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HBK86

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy,
I am an IMG who finished graduation in 2010. Right now I am done with my pathology residency (AP/CP) in my home country.
Considering I pass all the steps and apply it will be 2020...10 years since my graduation. And my resume will have all the work ex in pathology.
I wanted to switch to Internal medicine (categorical). Is it feasible (well everything is...but let's talk the real situation). I know my year of grad will pose problems. But can other things like good scores make up for that. Any leads?

Regards
HB

Members don't see this ad.

Dont really worry about being an old graduate as long as you have continued your medical education. And having on going or having graduated from a residency in your home country would I think be a big plus.

Hi everybody

I graduated in 2000 and presently working as assistant professor in Gastro in a reputed medical college in india. I have always dreamt of being a doctor in USA but due to personal and financial issues, my dreams never materialized. Recently I took USMLE but got low scores, Step 1 216 and step2 234. Can some one please suggest me if I should pursue my dream or give up and settle for the present job. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everybody

I graduated in 2000 and presently working as assistant professor in Gastro in a reputed medical college in india. I have always dreamt of being a doctor in USA but due to personal and financial issues, my dreams never materialized. Recently I took USMLE but got low scores, Step 1 216 and step2 234. Can some one please suggest me if I should pursue my dream or give up and settle for the present job. Thanks in advance.
Those Step 1 and 2 scores are actually decent (assuming no failed attempts) if you want to apply to lower tier FM, IM, neuro, psych, path, and maybe one or two others (e.g. maaaaaaybe a very low tier anesthesia program). Most other specialties are out. But refer to NRMP for the IMG because it should have data on this and thus your chances.

I assume if you're a gastro professor, then you would be most interested in either general surgery or IM. Unfortunately I think most likely you'll have to forget general surgery, that is out. But I think you might be able to get into a lower tier IM program. Then you could try to apply for GI. But the reality is that coming from a lower tier non-academic IM residency and if you need a visa, then you almost definitely won't get into GI. The odds are hugely against you. But I guess it's possible if you can make the right connections and all that. But I dont know if I would gamble on that extremely low chance, especially if you have a nice life in India.

And if financial issues are still a concern, then it's really expensive to apply to the US. You might need some US clinical experience, thus observerships, which you would need to pay for at least a flight and place to stay and food while you're doing it unless you have friends or family you can stay with, money for applications, flying over for interviews, etc.

But I don't know why this is in the USMLE and COMLEX forum lol.

Last edited:
I am interested in IM, not surgery. I have cleared both the steps in my first attempt and yet to apply for step 2 CS. Sorry for posting in wrong forum, but most of the threads on old IMG r idle since a long time.

I am interested in IM, not surgery. I have cleared both the steps in my first attempt and yet to apply for step 2 CS. Sorry for posting in wrong forum, but most of the threads on old IMG r idle since a long time.
Not a criticism, just saying! :) If you want IM and would be happy staying in general IM or going for a non-competitive fellowship (GI is the most competitive of all the IM fellowships), I think you have a shot. Just go to the NRMP link that I mentioned previously and look at the data yourself. I think everything else I said should still be relevant. It's a major move though. If you have a nice life in India, I don't know if I would move. But whatever you end up deciding, good luck!

Is there a list of those low tier programs?
I believe FREIDA should list all or most programs. Exclude brand name programs (e.g. Mass General, Hopkins, Mayo). Exclude university programs. Exclude programs in popular places like most of the West and East Coasts where everyone wants to live. Include programs where there are a lot of FMG's or IMG's and maybe DO's. Include programs that are willing to sponsor for visas. That should be an OK list of low tier programs.

Hi all,

Need suggestion:
Old IMG(yog-2010)
low scores- step1(198), step2ck(225, 2nd attempt), step 2cs(2nd attempt)

Should I continue studying for Step3, considering- Any chance for Matching?
Should I just drop the idea of being a doctor and get some job? (hard to drop the idea)

Hi all,

Need suggestion:
Old IMG(yog-2010)
low scores- step1(198), step2ck(225, 2nd attempt), step 2cs(2nd attempt)

Should I continue studying for Step3, considering- Any chance for Matching?
Should I just drop the idea of being a doctor and get some job? (hard to drop the idea)

If you have a hard time dropping the idea, then I guess you won't be satisfied until you've tried everything.

But red flags are YOG was 8 years ago now and only getting longer, failed step 2ck AND cs, low step 1 AND step 2 scores (on second pass). Another red flag is if you don't have any US clinical experience or LOR's from US physicians.

It's looking extremely grim. If I were you, I would try to do something else like nursing then CRNA (they can make a lot of money and have a good lifestyle). But it sounds like you don't want to give up until you've tried everything. That being the case then I would try to reach out to PD's in the lowest of the low tier residencies of the most non-competitive specialties (such as psych and path) and ask them what they think of your situation.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have a hard time dropping the idea, then I guess you won't be satisfied until you've tried everything.

But red flags are YOG was 8 years ago now and only getting longer, failed step 2ck AND cs, low step 1 AND step 2 scores (on second pass). Another red flag is if you don't have any US clinical experience or LOR's from US physicians.

It's looking extremely grim. If I were you, I would try to do something else like nursing then CRNA (they can make a lot of money and have a good lifestyle). But it sounds like you don't want to give up until you've tried everything. That being the case then I would try to reach out to PD's in the lowest of the low tier residencies of the most non-competitive specialties (such as psych and path) and ask them what they think of your situation.
Thank you so much for your reply!

Reactions: 1 user