Old MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

czarrar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an MCAT score from August 2004 and I am preparing my mudphud applications. For the schools that require a more recent MCAT score, I was thinking of sending in a letter to appeal this requirement. From some other threads that I have seen, it appears that appeals are rarely accepted. I am hoping this will not be the case with me and I wanted some advice on presenting a good case.

So far I hope to say the following:
- I had a decent score: 13 B, 11 P, 11 V, and Q W
- I am working as an RA and spending a lot of my free time on research.
- Currently writing a first-author publication
- Also concurrently involved in a few other independent research projects.
- Basically given my goal of becoming a medical scientist, I would like to take advantage of my research opportunities.

Thanks
Zarrar

Members don't see this ad.

Hey czarrar,

I think you have a very very strong case, however I think that how you put your appeal out there is of utmost importance. Like any system, there are rules for things i.e. time limit on validity of MCAT scores. And most of the time there is rationale for those rules. However, behind every system are people. And there wouldn't even be an "appeal" process if there weren't circumstances in which an appeal was appropriate. So, the question is: Do you have one of those circumstances? From what it seems like you could definitely swing and miss here if you put the information "unfinished," so to say. Like stubborn people, stubborn systems (medical school is definitely one of them) are resistant to change. So, like with a stubborn person, you need to let them let you do what you want. With that said, I believe you should get together:

1. a great appeal letter
2. letter of support from your PI
3. Proof of your work (abstract)- including the significance of your work

Make sure to have your letter reviewed by people who have succeeded in convincing the system. Medical students, Law students, Business students.

You can paint 1 of 2 pictures:
1. You are working in a lab. That's great. Your interested in medicine. But your too lazy to take the exam. You think your too special to play by the rules. This will raise some eyebrows about if you will do what it takes as a med student, let alone a Mudphud.

2. You work in a lab. Your work is really something special. It is a crucial time period. It's actually the reason for postponing your love of medicine. So, taking up this valuable time to take an exam, which you've clearly demonstrated your capacity, would be counterproductive. ( Subtext: You ask for permission to take on the ground breaking work you are doing in lieu of jumping through their hoop like a circus animal again)

Let them let you to do what you want.
I am a currently taking time to do research between 2-3 years of med school. I had some ideas for my career, including a Master's in Business Administration, which required similar "negotiation." I can tell you, putting your thoughts out their in a way in which administrators can comprehend is very important.

You do not have an unreasonable request. I think corroboration by other legitimate people (in form of letters) can really help out your appeal.

d.

I have an MCAT score from August 2004 and I am preparing my mudphud applications. For the schools that require a more recent MCAT score, I was thinking of sending in a letter to appeal this requirement. From some other threads that I have seen, it appears that appeals are rarely accepted. I am hoping this will not be the case with me and I wanted some advice on presenting a good case.

So far I hope to say the following:
- I had a decent score: 13 B, 11 P, 11 V, and Q W
- I am working as an RA and spending a lot of my free time on research.
- Currently writing a first-author publication
- Also concurrently involved in a few other independent research projects.
- Basically given my goal of becoming a medical scientist, I would like to take advantage of my research opportunities.

Thanks
Zarrar
It never hurts to ask. But, if I were you, I'd still invest in a good set of MCAT prep books. Med school is all about jumping through silly hoops, my friend. This won't be the last time you're told you have to do something and you're thinking, :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. I took mine Aug 2005, so most of the west coast schools are out. I am also teaching the MCAT, which would be a testament to why I am familiar with the material and shouldn't have to retake it, but then retaking the MCAT isn't as much of an obstacle either. Other than the voice inside shouting, "but I don't wannaaa!"

I'm in the same boat. I took mine Aug 2005, so most of the west coast schools are out. I am also teaching the MCAT, which would be a testament to why I am familiar with the material and shouldn't have to retake it, but then retaking the MCAT isn't as much of an obstacle either. Other than the voice inside shouting, "but I don't wannaaa!"
I had to retake b/c of expired scores too. It sucked; I got a 34 the first time, which would have been more than adequate for most MD programs. I was in grad school, working part time, and burned out as hell. I did it anyway because it was a necessary evil. Seriously, just suck it up. It's pretty silly to automatically disqualify yourself at so many programs over a single half day long test, especially since you're not even going to need tons of review. When you're spending your next 7-8 winters on the CA coast or wherever you want to be for your MD/PhD, you'll be glad you did. :)

I had to retake b/c of expired scores too. It sucked; I got a 34 the first time, which would have been more than adequate for most MD programs. I was in grad school, working part time, and burned out as hell. I did it anyway because it was a necessary evil. Seriously, just suck it up. It's pretty silly to automatically disqualify yourself at so many programs over a single half day long test, especially since you're not even going to need tons of review. When you're spending your next 7-8 winters on the CA coast or wherever you want to be for your MD/PhD, you'll be glad you did. :)

Hey QofQuimica, thanks for your reply. Crap so you tried for the appeal and didn't get it? For now I am trying to get my primaries out quickly and then I will look into reviewing for the MCATs and signing up for a date. My view of taking the MCATs is that I would love to take it (especially the biological sciences section which I found fun) but I have some exciting projects and papers that I am working on and would prefer not to sacrifice those things. Anyway if I have to take them, I will. You're right it is not worth being disqualified.

Hey QofQuimica, thanks for your reply. Crap so you tried for the appeal and didn't get it? For now I am trying to get my primaries out quickly and then I will look into reviewing for the MCATs and signing up for a date. My view of taking the MCATs is that I would love to take it (especially the biological sciences section which I found fun) but I have some exciting projects and papers that I am working on and would prefer not to sacrifice those things. Anyway if I have to take them, I will. You're right it is not worth being disqualified.
Oh, I didn't even bother wasting my time or theirs by trying to ask, let alone appeal. My first MCAT was from April 1996, and I applied to med school in 2005. Incidentally, those old, long expired scores still *do* show up on your AMCAS, even when you apply a decade later with a newer set of scores that haven't expired. :rolleyes:

czarrar, I don't think it would hurt to ask, but again, don't count on them letting you do it. Plan for the worst (to retake), and if you wind up not having to, you really haven't lost much by spending some time reviewing your science coursework. In general, though, I did not find med schools to be particularly forgiving with waiving their requirements. About the most they did for me was allow me to not have to retake any pre-reqs that were over a decade old, and I think the only reason I got away with that much was because I had taken more recent grad school coursework, and my second MCAT score was nine points higher than the first. :)

OP, I had a somewhat similar situation and I was surprised at how many schools accepted my old MCAT score. I HIGHLY recommend that you email the program directors if you haven't already.

I applied in June 2006 with an MCAT score from August 2003, and my score was old for the schools that required MCAT scores from within three years of matriculation, but acceptable for those that required scores from within three years of application. Just in case, I emailed ALL the programs I was planning to apply to (around 15) in January of 2006. I told them my scores (41.. Q?), how I really wanted to focus on research that summer (I was in the middle of a master's program.. no publications to speak of at that time though) and how taking the MCAT again would prevent me from doing so, and would they please let me know if there was any waiver policy at their institution (because, some other schools did.. :p which was true). I emailed both the MSTP offices and the MD admission offices in most cases, but usually the MSTP administrator referred me to the MD office. I gave them a week or so, and then called the schools which hadn't gotten back to me.

In the end, out of the 8 or so schools for which my grades were definitely considered old, the dean of admissions at 7 schools told me that they would apply a waiver policy and accept my scores (some of them told me to hang on to the email in which they stated this, for future reference). I had to be persistent and patient as my email was forwarded from administrator to dean, but it worked out in most cases. Just one school flat out told me that they wouldn't accept my scores (and the administrator was pretty rude about it) - UCSD. But that was then, and who knows what the policy is now.

My point is, be persistent and polite, state your case clearly and concisely, and you should have good results.

p.s. Upon preview, it seems like you're applying now, unfortunately. I'm afraid that contacting programs now for a waiver might get ignored or even backfire (since they're now busy with the next round of apps, etc) and I'm not sure what course of action to recommend. I would tentatively say that you should call the offices (do not tell them who you are), ask them what would happen if you applied with an old MCAT score, and if they say without hesitation that your app will get thrown out, then email them with your plea for a waiver. Best of luck.

Last edited: