Step I Old NBME question clarification - Asthma Drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sahell

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been doing the old NBMEs and came across a question of which pathway to inhibit for severity reduction. The key and some other posts say 5-lipoxygenase inhibition. Zileuton makes sense but wouldn't steroid inhibition of phospholipase a2 be a better answer?
 
Not that I want to knock out PGs. It's just that I believe inhaled corticosteroids are preferred to zileuton. Treatment guidelines have them both so I'm confused.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Phospholipase A2 isn't in the answer choices, its phospholipase A1. Hence the confusion.

Gotta be careful reading these questions, stuff like this is farily common.