Old Nbme's, Worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickensoupdr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know from what year the first few NBME's are from? Are they worth going through, or would they be just too old? Also, how reflective are the NBME question difficulty/type of the real exam? I know they're known for being the best score predictor, but are the questions themselves similar to the real deal?

Thanks and Happy Studying~

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's worth going through old NBMEs.
The real deal is much different than the NBMEs but the degree of difficulty of questions depend on the form(s) you get on the test which depends on your luck.

Does anyone know from what year the first few NBME's are from? Are they worth going through, or would they be just too old? Also, how reflective are the NBME question difficulty/type of the real exam? I know they're known for being the best score predictor, but are the questions themselves similar to the real deal?

Thanks and Happy Studying~

Considering a new one comes out about once a year. you could extrapolate that form 1 came out around year 2000. I know a buddy who took step 1 in ~2008 and at that time only forms 1-6 were available.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's worth going through old NBMEs.
The real deal is much different than the NBMEs but the degree of difficulty of questions depend on the form(s) you get on the test which depends on your luck.

Can you explain what you mean by 'much different than the NBMEs'? Like in terms of difficulty, phrasing? Is it more like UW or other question banks?

Can you explain what you mean by 'much different than the NBMEs'? Like in terms of difficulty, phrasing? Is it more like UW or other question banks?
Degree of difficulty varies but phrasing is different.

I have NBME disks from around 2000-2004. The ones that they give when you register for Step1 exams. I have heard and read on here that whilst studying for step1 again (relicensing) that I should focus on NBME 16-18. IS it worth studying from the old ones?

How does one access "nbme's online'? all I have is the disks...
Considering a new one comes out about once a year. you could extrapolate that form 1 came out around year 2000. I know a buddy who took step 1 in ~2008 and at that time only forms 1-6 were available.