old science 5+

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themrn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
i took G.chem and G. bio in 07-08. Does that matter?

I know it matters for Loma Linda for sure...

But does that apply to other schools as well?

sbdento

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took G.chem and G. bio in 07-08. Does that matter?

I know it matters for Loma Linda for sure...

But does that apply to other schools as well?

A.T. Still informed me of that same 5 year limit on prereqs. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

park1234

Reaction score
wait.... I am a non-trad applicant and i took G. Chem I in 2006. Does it mean there are limits on which schools to apply?................ oh.... it doesn't sound good.....

jeffity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A.T. Still informed me of that same 5 year limit on prereqs. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

Especially if you've took care of business since then (like did well with other science and the DAT). You'll definitely need that OCHM lab and some physics fresh in your brain to make it in dental school.

jeffity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
wait.... I am a non-trad applicant and i took G. Chem I in 2006. Does it mean there are limits on which schools to apply?................ oh.... it doesn't sound good.....

This is for very few schools.

dsoz

Accepted OHSU C/O 2017
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not applying for dental school, but I am a non-trad that was just accepted to medical school. My undergrad degree was from 1993! I didn't have any trouble with any school I applied to telling me my classes were "too old."

I will qualify my statement that I didn't apply to Loma Linda or A.T. Still. There are some MD schools that limit age of classes (Duke is one that I heard about), but they are few and far between.

My best advice is that you call up the schools you plan on applying at and ask them about whether prereques expire.

Good luck to you. May your dreams of attending school come true.

dsoz

sbdento

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Especially if you've took care of business since then (like did well with other science and the DAT). You'll definitely need that OCHM lab and some physics fresh in your brain to make it in dental school.

haha funny

JAWSSS

Reaction score
I did gen chem and ochem in 05-06... I took a leave of absence from 07-09.

Got interviews at Loma Linda and ASDOH. I don't think that rule is set in stone.

jeffity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nothing is set in stone for anything, really. Gotta have an 18+ on this section or a 17+ in that section and this or that GPA and then stats come out and you see 12s and lower-range GPAs. It's silly.

I don't know about LL, but this cycle is the first cycle ASDOH is enforcing it. When they introduced it last year, it had an 'effective next cycle' note. They seem like the last school that would care. Maybe they had a problem.

hunterx2

Reaction score
My gen chem is more than 5 years old, but I got a 29 on that section of the DAT. So if you did well then I don't think anybody will care.

gn4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It depends. Some schools require less than 4 years. I believe Oklahoma has that rule. I want to say that Buffalo does as well, but I'm not completely sure. Most schools however prefer that you re-take the pre-reqs to show that you can handle such a course, but if you do really well on the DAT, I don't think they will care as much.

Ferneezy

I don't always Go Blue, but when I do...
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nothing is set in stone for anything, really. Gotta have an 18+ on this section or a 17+ in that section and this or that GPA and then stats come out and you see 12s and lower-range GPAs. It's silly.

I don't know about LL, but this cycle is the first cycle ASDOH is enforcing it. When they introduced it last year, it had an 'effective next cycle' note. They seem like the last school that would care. Maybe they had a problem.

the fact they now require it really bothers me. i traded emails with someone in their admissions department this morning. i essentially expressed my displeasure in potentially being shut out of a school in my home state because i'm a non-trad with a competitive DAT and recent, strong performance in upper level coursework.

i got the expected non-commital answer. i have yet to designate them on AADSAS and i'm still deciding on whether or not i should throw my money their way.