jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
1,562
4
Oregon
Status
Dentist

EHA DDS

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
221
0
Status
Gimme a break...dentist earning 90k?
 

GQ1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
130
0
Status
jk5177 said:
This thread shows Physicians getting paid much more than dentist. I don't mean to drag up an old issue that has been talked, and talked about, however it's over curious.

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Custom/MSN/CareerAdvice/472.htm?siteid=cbmsnhp4457&sc_extcmp=JS_js7_feb05_home1&GT1=6158&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=83698ba00b824bf3a8512cbd887b0dd9-161140334-wz-2

dont bother replying to this guy it will only encourage him and other sore nedics. if its not an issue why do u bring it ip. are we trawling in good numbers thru the md site with these postings - no as we re secure in our choice
 

egpndoc

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
204
0
So Cal
Status
Ash said:
LOL true thats a dentists overhead cost
Whyd oes it matter how much dentists make? They are able to pay off their student loans, open a practice, make a profit, and live a decent life ( soem more than others). So if you want to be a dentist because its what you want to do every day for the next 40 years then go for it, if you're in it for the money then go sell crack rocks because they make a hell of a lot more moeny than dentists and they dont have to worry about getting sued. Stop this revolving bickering between MD's and DDS's. Who cares who makes more, just do your job.
 

ibo man

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2001
175
0
Visit site
Status
egpndoc said:
Whyd oes it matter how much dentists make? They are able to pay off their student loans, open a practice, make a profit, and live a decent life ( soem more than others). So if you want to be a dentist because its what you want to do every day for the next 40 years then go for it, if you're in it for the money then go sell crack rocks because they make a hell of a lot more moeny than dentists and they dont have to worry about getting sued. Stop this revolving bickering between MD's and DDS's. Who cares who makes more, just do your job.

Trust me selling crack these days don't pay as they use to. Too much competition, and you are always watching your back. Risk of getting hurt at work is too high, and no rest of mind at all. I guess being a dentist or an MD is not too shabby. :D
 

TucsonDDS

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
598
1
Status
ibo man said:
Trust me selling crack these days don't pay as they use to. Too much competition, and you are always watching your back. Risk of getting hurt at work is too high, and no rest of mind at all. I guess being a dentist or an MD is not too shabby. :D
What if your are in the "making crack" business. Then you only have to worry about your trailer blowing up in the woods plus you will meet some pretty neet new friends.
 

egpndoc

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
204
0
So Cal
Status
TucsonDDS said:
What if your are in the "making crack" business. Then you only have to worry about your trailer blowing up in the woods plus you will meet some pretty neet new friends.
hahahahahahahaha, im bustin up
 

12YearOldKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
775
3
Status
Dentist
jk5177 said:
This thread shows Physicians getting paid much more than dentist. I don't mean to drag up an old issue that has been talked, and talked about, however it's over curious.

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Custom/MSN/CareerAdvice/472.htm?siteid=cbmsnhp4457&sc_extcmp=JS_js7_feb05_home1&GT1=6158&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=83698ba00b824bf3a8512cbd887b0dd9-161140334-wz-2
Those numbers are overstated. I would say it is closer to $65,000 - $75,000 for a general dentist. The numbers are probably a little high because they included specialists in the "dentists" figure.

Those figures make every dental student on these boards swallow hard. And then we say the same thing we've said to ourselves so many times before. "Man, if only my grades would have been good enough to get into medical or law school. Oh well, guess I'll just have to settle for what I can get."
 
OP
jk5177

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
1,562
4
Oregon
Status
Dentist
Mmmph. Interesting to see what people posts. That's all. I'm not bickering, arguing, or competing - just want to see what everyone is posting.
 
OP
jk5177

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
1,562
4
Oregon
Status
Dentist
JamesD said:

Nice picture. A subtle way to imply that people are still living in that past.
 

3rdMolarRoller

User Account Deleted
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
1,181
5
Visit site
Status
I know a dentist that makes 50k a year. He works two days a week and these are not normal days. He only has his small 1 chair practice open Sat and sun
 

Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
12YearOldKid said:
Those numbers are overstated. I would say it is closer to $65,000 - $75,000 for a general dentist. The numbers are probably a little high because they included specialists in the "dentists" figure.

Those figures make every dental student on these boards swallow hard. And then we say the same thing we've said to ourselves so many times before. "Man, if only my grades would have been good enough to get into medical or law school. Oh well, guess I'll just have to settle for what I can get."
Negatory and your data is just wrong!

The average general private practice dentists I know (out of school say 5 years) gross at least 50-60-K per month.

Average overhead of 65% ----- leaves ......17.5 - 21K Net per month.

Energetic general practice dentists and all specialists make way more.
 

KY2007

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2005
213
1
Status
12YearOldKid said:
"Man, if only my grades would have been good enough to get into medical or law school. Oh well, guess I'll just have to settle for what I can get."
Interesting that you say that. Some people in my class were accepted to both and turned down medicine. Besides that if the top half of my class would have applied to med school they would have taken someone's spot.
 

USAF_Dentman

Go!! Get to da choppa!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
502
2
40
California
Status
12YearOldKid said:
"Man, if only my grades would have been good enough to get into medical or law school. Oh well, guess I'll just have to settle for what I can get."

Wow, you have to have good grades to get into law school!!?!?!
 
OP
jk5177

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
1,562
4
Oregon
Status
Dentist
I'm sorry for ever making the op. This topic just never go well. Nothing meaningful seem to ever arise. Now I know. Sorry folks.
 

Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Fullosseousflap said:
Negatory and your data is just wrong!

The average general private practice dentists I know (out of school say 5 years) gross at least 50-60-K per month.

Average overhead of 65% ----- leaves ......17.5 - 21K Net per month.

Energetic general practice dentists and all specialists make way more.
Here is a recent article from the Wall Street Journal:

Read it here.

And here is a graph from the article:

 

12YearOldKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
775
3
Status
Dentist
Fullosseousflap said:
Negatory and your data is just wrong!

The average general private practice dentists I know (out of school say 5 years) gross at least 50-60-K per month.

Average overhead of 65% ----- leaves ......17.5 - 21K Net per month.

Energetic general practice dentists and all specialists make way more.
:laugh: :laugh: My post was intended to be sarcastic, but I don't think it came across that way. I don't now nor have I ever wanted to attend medical or law school. And yes, dentists make WAY more than $60,000 - $70,000. But thanks for taking the time to set me straight anyway.

BTW, I've enjoyed your posts these last couple days Fullosseousflap. It's nice to have some practicing dentists here on the forums.
 

Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
AUG2UAG said:
Hi Dr. Cole,
I hope I don't offend you with my post(s); thanks for posting on this forum.
Man, I just got home from an all day of drilling! I am tired!

Wish I was young again like you guys!

BTW... you guys/gals have a great future coming up in dentistry!

Thanks for the kind comments!
 

Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
12YearOldKid said:
:laugh: :laugh: My post was intended to be sarcastic, but I don't think it came across that way. I don't now nor have I ever wanted to attend medical or law school. And yes, dentists make WAY more than $60,000 - $70,000. But thanks for taking the time to set me straight anyway.

BTW, I've enjoyed your posts these last couple days Fullosseousflap. It's nice to have some practicing dentists here on the forums.
TY
 

VeteranDDS

New Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
1
0
Status
AUG2UAG said:
Hi Dr. Cole,
I hope I don't offend you with my post(s); thanks for posting on this forum.
Long-time lurker and first-time poster here.

I've noticed a disturbing trend with you and other posters here. Quick to insult and criticize depending on who you are talking to. Yet this display of ass-kissing ranks up there with the best of them.

Why don't you try to contribute to this forum and speak to others with respect? This forum is for seeking advice not slamming others.
 

lnn2

Oral Fixation
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2002
861
1
TX
Visit site
Status

DrJeff

Senior Member
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2000
2,840
385
Brooklyn, ct
Status
Dentist
My current favorite question that I get asked by my M.D./D.O. colleagues when they're in one of my chairs having work done is "what do you pay a year in malpractice?" I've learned now to put my hand under their jaw to catch it when I tell them that it just went DOWN last year to just under $2000. You should hear some of the figures for malpractice that they tell me ($20,000 for a family practice M.D., $75,000 for a general surgeon, $90,000 for an OB/GYN).

My second favorite question that the M.D./D.O.'s ask me is "how many hours a week do you work?" My current response (which is 100% true) is "I'm trying to cut down from my current full time week, which is .......29 hours a week over 3 and 1/2 days :D "

Very few of them ask me/want to know how much $$ I make after hearing the answers to Q1 and Q2!
 

airvent

.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
323
0
Status
I'm so excited!! We are all gonna be rich!!! WooooHoooo!!!

I'm gonna buy a diamond studded medallion shaped like a tooth! oohh and a Rolex. :)