Older DPT students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTnext

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else out there 30+ yrs old thinking about going back to school for a DPT? I worked in technology for many years and hated it. I'm about to submit my PTCAS for next fall and am hoping there are others in the same boat. I hope to not be the only older career changer in my class!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 32 and am in my first semester of a DPT program. I didn't even decide to get my BS until 27, so do whatever makes you happy. Though a lot of my classmates are younger, we still have plenty of people in my class and 2nd and 3rd years who are 30+, so it's not uncommon at all.

Thank you! What school are you at if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking at schools in VA and DC mainly, not interested in moving if at all possible.

Do you know much about GWU or Marymount?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be 45 this month and am applying to PT school for the Fall 2011 class. I left a good family business a few years ago and decided to get my degree since no one in my family has ever gotten a degree. PT looks like a perfect program for me at this time. Med school is more than I want to take on at this age and I enjoy my free time with my family. The field seems to be growing and I ca't imagine it ever going away.

I look forward to PT school and the career.

Thank you! What school are you at if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking at schools in VA and DC mainly, not interested in moving if at all possible.

Do you know much about GWU or Marymount?

Thanks again!

I'm at Shenandoah University (in Winchester, about an hour or so west of DC). Don't know about GW, but Marymount was ok, but decided on Shenandoah b/c I personally couldn't take living in NOVA, but if you like it there, go for it. One reason I chose not to go was that besides their small campus in Arlington, their cadaver lab was shared with GW, so for gross anatomy, you had to commute....If you don't mind moving to a rural area, SU might float your boat. I interviewed here and was blown away by facilities and staff, and it hasn't let me down whatsoever since attending. Everyone (staff and second years) are soo supportive it feels like a family. Va has a lot of pt schools- VCU and ODU are really good (both have 100% board pass rates), Marymount, SU, Hampton, and 2 that just started pt programs (Lynchburg and somewhere else..I forget, it's early and should be studying gross anatomy..). Good luck in your decision!

I'm not quite 30 (I'm 25, will be 26 when I start if I get accepted) but I worried about being the only "older" student too... When I went back for my undergrad prereqs I was surprised to find MORE people my age and older than younger! So, no worries for you!!

im 26 and a first yr student. in my class of 46, theres a 28 yr old, 2 26 yr olds, and a 25 yr old. i realize im not that old, but i definitely dont really care that im an older student. i took my time and had some experiences after college and got a firmer understanding of what i want to do.

its grad school. most grad programs have students of all ages. if PT is what you want to do, dont late age interfere.

You're not alone! I'm 33, a month from being 34, and I'm also applying this cycle.

There's a 43-year-old guy in my class who's married with 2 kids :) And also an excellent student!

Hi there! I'm almost 35 and finishing the pre-requisites. Still have another semester of bio and a year of physics to go plus the GRE before applying to programs. Have been working on these pre-requisites and volunteering for the last 3+ years. It's slow going because I've been working mostly full time. I like being older. I'm more focused, study more efficiently than I would have in the past and all the time and strategizing this is taking just strengthens my commitment to the field. I didn't even find it too weird to shadow practicing DPT's who are 9 or 10 years younger than me. If there is mutual respect and interest in the field you will have a lot in common with your classmates. Good luck!

P.S. We'll still have a lot of years to practice :)

I'm 35, and am a first year DPT student at UW-Madison. Second career for me after spending 6+ years working in the capital markets and I banking sector. Just about all my classmates are a year or two out of college. Problem for me wasn't so much the age thing (met some great friends in their early 20's while taking a few prereqs) but rather the culture shock of being back in Wisconsin after living in So California for 17 years!:eek:

If I get accepted next year (2011), I certainly will be the oldest student in my class... I'll be 52, and the DPT will be my 4th degree. After almost 30 years "wandering" in different careers, I think I've finally found my calling. It's never too late.

Older student here too! I'm 29 and will be starting my prereqs this January. I'm leaving my job in marketing because I hate it so much, so this is a huge step for me. PT just feels like the right fit. I wish I had thought more seriously about a career path earlier when I was getting my bacc, but I guess it's better late than never right? ;)

If I get accepted next year (2011), I certainly will be the oldest student in my class... I'll be 52, and the DPT will be my 4th degree. After almost 30 years "wandering" in different careers, I think I've finally found my calling. It's never too late.

I think it is great you are starting your DPT. I have been concerned about being a PT when I am older (in my 50s and 60s) that I am considering a switch to OT so there are other non-physical job opportunities. I don't know if I am doing the right thing, but I am worried when I am older, I will not have the physical strength to do the job. Currently I am a female in my mid-30's and out of shape from years at a desk job and my back already hurts! I guess in PT school they teach you how to take care of your own body, but what are your thoughts on the wear and tear of your body while taking care of others?

I think it is great you are starting your DPT. I have been concerned about being a PT when I am older (in my 50s and 60s) that I am considering a switch to OT so there are other non-physical job opportunities. I don't know if I am doing the right thing, but I am worried when I am older, I will not have the physical strength to do the job. Currently I am a female in my mid-30's and out of shape from years at a desk job and my back already hurts! I guess in PT school they teach you how to take care of your own body, but what are your thoughts on the wear and tear of your body while taking care of others?

Sailing, there are great opportunities out there for PT. Im not saying this will happen to you, but once we get older and our bodies can't take the physicality of the profession then you can decide to teach, pediatrics, wound care.....maybe open your own clinic and you can do the evals and have PTAs do the treatments.

what are your thoughts on the wear and tear of your body while taking care of others?

I try to keep in shape, as I think our body is very resilient, if you take care of it; I alternate between running, swimming and lifting weights, six days a week. When I was little, I was a chubby kid with a pot-belly. Now, at 51, I look at my childhood friends and they're the ones with a beer gut! It's never too late to start an exercise program, so I'd encourage you to start today.

My mother and my father-in-law both had strokes. Afterwards, my mother exercised vigorously, while my father-in-law did not. A year later, my mother is well on her way to full recovery, and my father-in-law is turning into a nursing-home case. I think exercise is the closest thing we have to a silver bullet, for many health issues.

DPTnext, I'm glad you posted! I'm 31 and have transitioned from working in the not-so-employable environmental non-profit sector (with some retail work too). I've been working anywhere from part-time to full-time as PT aide while I finish my pre-reqs. I still have physics and chem to take, but I'm glad I'm taking it a little slow to make a great GPA and still have time for my husband.
I also work with two PTs who have the same story as us. One was in marketing and hated it; the other was a yoga teacher and wanted to advance her knowledge. Both were in their 30s when they applied. Neither looked back at their decision nor were they the only career-changers in their class.

While I'm not in the same category as you all, I think it's wonderful that everyone has found their new passion. I hope that I have classmates like you in whatever program I end up in. No one is going to care what your age is, as long as you enjoy what you are doing and just have fun!! :) My mom went back to school at 55 (mind you her bachelor's degree) and she never felt like she was treated differently and in fact still remains friends with some of her old classmates. The point is, don't worry about it! and just go for it! :)

I felt compelled to post here, as I too am a "non-traditional" student..lol I just like to leave out the word "old". I am 37, and have had a couple of careers already.The last 7 years I spent as a Respiratory Therapist. My career took a spiral downward due to the economy, and repositioning in my husbands career that moved us to a place I cannot get consistent work. For 3 years I watched my entire independence fade and my financial picture demise.

I had been searching for a way to fix this and in my heart I knew I was being guided to do something else. I also was assigned to watch the short video "Who Moved My Cheese" in a management class, and that changed my perspective entirely.

I was just accepted to an MOT program to begin May 2011, and all the growing pains, yes at 37 we still have them, were SO worth it!

I have a 22 year old daughter that will be applying to medical school by the time I graduate the MOT program, and I am certain many of my classmates will be her age!

I always took a road less traveled, but I find I have landed exactly in the right place. Education has always been the cornerstone of my success. I graduate next week with my BS in Health Science, at 37!

I have always been a student, employee, and mother simultaneously my entire adult life. Many times I have been the older student, and always the student with a family.

My outlook is that being older allows me to bring something unique to my classmates, my experience in medicine, life, and how to balance it all, may be helpful to my younger peers. We go into these fields to impact the lives of others in a positive way, and I believe it will start the day you step foot on the campus. You will impact your classmates, and they will impact you.

It is never too late, and with this economy we will see many students return to follow their heart this time, and not only where there is financial gain. Returning to school no matter what age is empowering for you and all of those around you.

Good luck, and remember that education is never wasted, or taken from you. I have counseled many of my daughter's friends as they graduate college, aspirations in hand, and come up short. I advise them if doors are not opening for you, then go back to your education and create a door. I would rather invest 50,000 in MYSELF than lose 30,000 each year of potential salary and sit with limited options.

Chose a school that fits your learning style and "feels" good. If you find even from the first call to a program that you are not welcome, keep it moving. As an older student, I focused on the programs that have a holistic approach to their program and application process. My internal guide was that if anything felt egocentric about a program.....I ran ;)

Sorry for long post, but this subject is one I am passionate about!

Last edited:
I felt compelled to post here, as I too am a "non-traditional" student..lol I just like to leave out the word "old". I am 37, and have had a couple of careers already.The last 7 years I spent as a Respiratory Therapist. My career took a spiral downward due to the economy, and repositioning in my husbands career that moved us to a place I cannot get consistent work. For 3 years I watched my entire independence fade and my financial picture demise.

I had been searching for a way to fix this and in my heart I knew I was being guided to do something else. I also was assigned to watch the short video "Who Moved My Cheese" in a management class, and that changed my perspective entirely.

I was just accepted to an MOT program to begin May 2011, and all the growing pains, yes at 37 we still have them, were SO worth it!

I have a 22 year old daughter that will be applying to medical school by the time I graduate the MOT program, and I am certain many of my classmates will be her age!

I always took a road less traveled, but I find I have landed exactly in the right place. Education has always been the cornerstone of my success. I graduate next week with my BS in Health Science, at 37!

I have always been a student, employee, and mother simultaneously my entire adult life. Many times I have been the older student, and always the student with a family.

My outlook is that being older allows me to bring something unique to my classmates, my experience in medicine, life, and how to balance it all, may be helpful to my younger peers. We go into these fields to impact the lives of others in a positive way, and I believe it will start the day you step foot on the campus. You will impact your classmates, and they will impact you.

It is never too late, and with this economy we will see many students return to follow their heart this time, and not only where there is financial gain. Returning to school no matter what age is empowering for you and all of those around you.

Good luck, and remember that education is never wasted, or taken from you. I have counseled many of my daughter's friends as they graduate college, aspirations in hand, and come up short. I advise them if doors are not opening for you, then go back to your education and create a door. I would rather invest 50,000 in MYSELF than lose 30,000 each year of potential salary and sit with limited options.

Chose a school that fits your learning style and "feels" good. If you find even from the first call to a program that you are not welcome, keep it moving. As an older student, I focused on the programs that have a holistic approach to their program and application process. My internal guide was that if anything felt egocentric about a program.....I ran ;)

Sorry for long post, but this subject is one I am passionate about!
That was perfect niceday8. My favorite song is Pursuit of Happiness by Kid Cudi. Self explanatory y'all. And no..I do not get high