Older grades (I'm scared)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blackhorse90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I am super worried right now. Since the application is coming up I am getting everything, but what I forgot about was my older grades. When I was 18 right out of high school I attended a community college and for 2 semesters. After that I took 2 years off of school for an LDS mission. After I got back I attended a university and have done decent. My overall GPA is a 3.54 and a 3.4 science. The problem is at the community college I didn't know how to drop a class so I failed 3 of them. So now I have 3 F's on my transcripts which I think brings my GPA down to a 3.1. Since being at the university I have take equivalent courses and have done well in them. My worry is that I am afraid they are not even going to consider my application once they see a low GPA even thought they were back in 2008. Even though I am a minority I still think that this is too low to consider. I am going to address it in my personal statement, but is there anything else I could possibly do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Fs in what classes? Do you have D or below in any prereq? 3.1 is low, but if you get 22+ on DAT you should be okay. You might need to retake those Fs.

In 2008 I got the F's in College Success, Introduction to Business, and Plane Trig. I took these at a community college and then I transferred schools. I got a B+ in Pre Calc and Calculus, A in business, but haven't taken really anything like college success.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you just get transfer credit and not a specific grade for community college?

I believe that you get transfer credit for the school you are transferring to, but for dental school application they calculate in everything, including the community college credit. At least that what my health professions advisor said

yea should have studied.

Now is the time to exude great confidence, my man. What's your DAT score? Where do you live and where are you applying? What type of experiences do you have in dentistry? You have thousands of volunteer hours.. several woots for that.

So my DAT score wasn't amazing. It was a 19AA and a 19TS with a 23 on the PAT. I am from Arizona (going to school in Idaho) and will be applying to mainly west coast schools. I did my internship at a dental office. I have about 500 hours of service hours. I am hoping that mentioning that I was 18, didn't know what I wanted to do, and didn't know how college worked will soften the blow of those grade. Also I don't know how much being the first person in the family to go to college is, or that I am Native American will help.