Older NBMEs or USMLERx?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by usmleswot, 09.25.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. usmleswot

usmleswot 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hello everyone,

Needed a bit of advice. I'm about 2 weeks out and a nervous wreck, naturally. I have 2 options, and I don't have the time to do both.

Background: Done with Kaplan, Pathoma x2, First Aidx3, Uworld first run (65% - not great I know. :( ), and I'm working on the incorrects now.

Done 3 NBMEs, the last one I had a score of 237. Really want >245, so I'm really taking this down to the wire and I'm doubting if it's possible. The scores just aren't going up and it's a "Do I have the aptitude for this" situation going through my head.

Coming back to the point:
    I've got 3 NBMEs (online) left, which I've scheduled in over the course of the next 2 weeks, but I'm just wondering what I should be doing otherwise.

I have a USMLERx subscription which I haven't used much so I can make 4 block self assessments from it and then there's the option of doing the offline NBMEs (1-6). So what do you think?

Any other advice you can give me would be great too.

Thanks! And good luck to everyone prepping!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SBR249

SBR249 7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I would not do the earlier offline NBMEs, they are no longer representative of the current USMLE questions and are therefore neither good predictors nor good practice problems. I would do the remaining NBMEs interspersed with a few blocks from Rx here and there and bone up on subject areas that are the weakest.

usmleswot likes this.
  4. usmleswot

usmleswot 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ok. Thank you!! :)

About the ads