Oldest Working Pathologist you know.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeratinPearls

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mine has to be late 70s approaching 80 working for 30+ years. I don't think he's planning on retiring too!

How long do you think you will work til? I talked to a VA pathologist working for 30 years and is getting tired and retiring soon.

Members don't see this ad.

I know several pathologists in their 60s. Most of these guys have no plans to retire.

Thread degenerating into a "job market sucks" thread in 3...2...1

One in his 50's and is probably going to retire within the next 10 years. I may know an older one, but I have no idea about his retirement plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
My former program director just retired at age 80, but he still has an office in the department & comes in every so often.

We have an 80+ year-old who is still going . . . and going . . .

Jesus. I won't even be finished with residency until I'm.... 40? I have to work until I'm 70 just to make a normal career. Actually, one of the plusses of pathology is that this doesn't seem too difficult. I wouldn't want a 70 year-old orthepedic surgeon replacing my hip, but a 70-year old pathologist signing out my biopsy? Probably the best way to go.

Why would someone retire from a private practice partnership gig? Tons of vacation and money and during the "work" day you sit around the doctor's lounge and talk about your golf game. That beats retirement any day. :)

Dr. Carney still comes in to work.

You know Carney's triad, Carney complex, Carney's pentad....

Dr. Goellner finaly retired this last year. He worked on FNA of the thyroid. Awesome man to have signed out with. I can't get ahold of him for a letter of recommendation because he's now biking across the US. I wish I had that much energy now. He still pops into Hilton 11 sometimes.

I have no idea their ages but it's amazing.

Last edited:
...but a 70-year old pathologist signing out my biopsy? Probably the best way to go.

Well said! I know one in his 80's, and two in their 70's. All of these guys are excellent teachers and mentors and truly inspiring to work with.

Regarding old surgeons, however, I have to mention that Michael DeBakey still assisted with cardiac surgeries into his late 80's, and occasionally saw patients into his 90's (or so I have heard). He died just a few months before his 100th birthday. In essence, DeBakey was the MAN!

During residency, I had several attendings that were in their early 70's when I graduated. They were no different than when I started. From what I know, both are still working. We did have someone older in the department, but he retired after breaking his hip. Coincidentally, it happened when he went on vacation.

Since we're on the topic of older physicians, I don't think I've ever come across a radiologist in their 70's. You'd think they be able to work just as long as we do. Maybe they all retire earlier because they earn so much more money than us?

----- Antony

Since we're on the topic of older physicians, I don't think I've ever come across a radiologist in their 70's. You'd think they be able to work just as long as we do. Maybe they all retire earlier because they earn so much more money than us?

They probably just don't enjoy their job as much. I don't really understand retirement from a job you really enjoy, regardless of how much money you have.

They probably just don't enjoy their job as much. I don't really understand retirement from a job you really enjoy, regardless of how much money you have.

I am certainly no exemplar of age but I am 59 and have no itention to rerire. I have plenty of money but my job is my hobby. I was off last week and it is generally boring. We'd travel but have some elderly family constraints.

I actually know a radiologist working full-time at the local VA who is in his 80s.

He died just a few months before his 100th birthday. In essence, DeBakey was the MAN!

Maybe he was the man but I also heard that he would tell medical students and residents they weren't allowed to look at him, just like Diana Ross.

I am certainly no exemplar of age but I am 59 and have no itention to rerire. I have plenty of money but my job is my hobby. I was off last week and it is generally boring. We'd travel but have some elderly family constraints.

How long have you been 59? :laugh:

Oldest one I know still working close to full time is mid 80's. He's got the "old man crankies" though.

I wonder if this will change with the next generation. At 31, in practice for just a year and a half, I can't imagine working into my 70's or beyond. Perhaps my attitude will change as my experience grows and the job becomes more and more routine. My partners, by the way, are 50, 61, 62, and 63; none with any immediate plans to retire, but possibly somebody within the next 3-5 years.

I also wonder how closely correlated retirements are with the stock and real estate markets.

I wonder if this will change with the next generation. At 31, in practice for just a year and a half, I can't imagine working into my 70's or beyond. .

Just wait until you've gone through a divorce settlement, have a second wife, your first kids are getting ready to go to college, your new kids are going to an expensive pre-school, and your new wife wants a vacation home in Scottsdale. You'll be working until you are 70 too.

Dr. Carney still comes in to work.

You know Carney's triad, Carney complex, Carney's pentad....

Dr. Goellner finaly retired this last year. He worked on FNA of the thyroid. Awesome man to have signed out with. I can't get ahold of him for a letter of recommendation because he's now biking across the US. I wish I had that much energy now. He still pops into Hilton 11 sometimes.

I have no idea their ages but it's amazing.

Carney was a pathologist? Wow he had a keen eye for all the odd ball cases!

Maybe he was the man but I also heard that he would tell medical students and residents they weren't allowed to look at him, just like Diana Ross.

I don't know about that, but similar "Debakey Lore" stories float around the Texas Med Center. They say he was pretty intense but started to mellow out in his 70's. Regardless of personality, his medical accomplishments are enormous.

I don't know about that, but similar "Debakey Lore" stories float around the Texas Med Center. They say he was pretty intense but started to mellow out in his 70's. Regardless of personality, his medical accomplishments are enormous.

Absolutely. He is a great academic physician. Who knows how many lives he has affected by his own care, residents he has trained, and work he has published.

If there wasn't academic physicians, there wouldn't be medicine.