olfactory hallucinations caused by antidepressants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi: I'm doing a paper on side effects of anti-depressants and was wondering if anyone could refer me to a good source on olfactory hallucinations causes by antidepressants? There doesn't seem to be much written on the subject.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi: I'm doing a paper on side effects of anti-depressants and was wondering if anyone could refer me to a good source on olfactory hallucinations causes by antidepressants? There doesn't seem to be much written on the subject.

I've never heard of such effects but you may want to try searching for the effects that certain anti-depressants have on the temporal lobe. Other than that I'm not too sure.

Not sure specifically about antidepressants per se...

But...there was an article in the British Medical Journal this year about May or June I think.....about indomethacin induced olfactory hallucinations (NSAIDS, not antidepressants, I know). There are also references to caffeine causing this..

Also...a very old journal - American Journal of Psychiatry - early 1980's...I think, so it won't involve the most recent antidepressants.

The Journal of Psychopharmacology 2004 also has references to some of the newer drugs.

You might want to do a PubMed search.

However....it is difficult perhaps to discern if this is a drug side effect or a symptom of the initial disease...many articles relate the symptom with an underlying disorder rather than a drug effect alone.

Good luck with your search - let us know!