Olive-View UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dieulafoy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm currently a 3rd year IM resident at the Olive-View UCLA program and was searching the threads to see if there were any comments or questions about my program. I was surprised to find very little, given that many are interested in staying in Southern California.

Olive View is a ~250 bed county hospital affiliated with UCLA located in the San Fernando Valley. The patient population is predominantly Latino, but there are many other groups represented (armenian, african-american, caucasian, asian). It's a moderately sized program with young energetic faculty, excellent teaching, and a very supportive chief of medicine, program director and program office. I have to admit I really love the hospital and the program. I feel I've received an excellent categorical training, with a great mix of bread and butter as well as first diagnoses of weird, crazy diseases. I also feel we're pretty competetive for fellowships because there are plenty of chances to pursue research at UCLA, the VA or Cedars-Sinai (or even abroad). For you prelims out there, it's considered the most competetive prelim spot in LA because you'll get a great IM training without being flogged.

I could go on and on, but I thought I'd put out a plug for my home base and field any questions people may have.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am waiting to hear back from Olive-View...they sent out an email a month ago saying that they would be reviewing applications in the next couple of weeks...

The biggest question I had was - are they DO friendly? Are there any DOs at your program (I've heard that they are not,but from a shaky source)? I am looking to do residency in California and am very much interested in interviewing at your program.

Also- I know some of the other LA programs rotate through Olive View - and you mentioned that there is opportunity to rotate at other places... how many months are spent at Olive View and is it a hindrance if you don't speak Spanish?

Thanks for your help! :D

I actually just interviewed there and really liked the program. I only recently heard about the program but it apparently has a great reputation out in LA. Relaxed environment, good patient population, time to do electives/research even in the first year....good times.

Members don't see this ad :)
PalCareGrl said:
Hello,
I am waiting to hear back from Olive-View...they sent out an email a month ago saying that they would be reviewing applications in the next couple of weeks...

The biggest question I had was - are they DO friendly? Are there any DOs at your program (I've heard that they are not,but from a shaky source)? I am looking to do residency in California and am very much interested in interviewing at your program.

Also- I know some of the other LA programs rotate through Olive View - and you mentioned that there is opportunity to rotate at other places... how many months are spent at Olive View and is it a hindrance if you don't speak Spanish?

Thanks for your help! :D

Hi PalCareGrl,

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you...was away for the weekend. In terms of DOs, traditionally, we haven't had DOs in our program, but I believe applications are reviewed on an individual basis, so I would still apply if you're interested.
Housestaff from several programs rotate through Olive View, including UCLA CHS, Cedars and the VA. Most months are spent at Olive View, but people do rotate off site for ICU/CCU rotations at Cedars Sinai, UCLA and West LA WA. As for spanish, every little bit helps given our patient population. There are housestaff who don't speak spanish who are able to get translators, but knowing spanish myself has been a big plus.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Don'tbeagunner said:
I actually just interviewed there and really liked the program. I only recently heard about the program but it apparently has a great reputation out in LA. Relaxed environment, good patient population, time to do electives/research even in the first year....good times.

Hi Don'tbeagunner,

are you applying for categorical or prelim?

Hello again,

Thank you for the information! I contacted your program to express my interest and two days later, I got my interview offer! I'll be coming to interview in January! Can't wait.

Thanks again! :D

dieulafoy said:
Hello Everyone,

I'm currently a 3rd year IM resident at the Olive-View UCLA program and was searching the threads to see if there were any comments or questions about my program. I was surprised to find very little, given that many are interested in staying in Southern California.

Olive View is a ~250 bed county hospital affiliated with UCLA located in the San Fernando Valley. The patient population is predominantly Latino, but there are many other groups represented (armenian, african-american, caucasian, asian). It's a moderately sized program with young energetic faculty, excellent teaching, and a very supportive chief of medicine, program director and program office. I have to admit I really love the hospital and the program. I feel I've received an excellent categorical training, with a great mix of bread and butter as well as first diagnoses of weird, crazy diseases. I also feel we're pretty competetive for fellowships because there are plenty of chances to pursue research at UCLA, the VA or Cedars-Sinai (or even abroad). For you prelims out there, it's considered the most competetive prelim spot in LA because you'll get a great IM training without being flogged.

I could go on and on, but I thought I'd put out a plug for my home base and field any questions people may have.

thanks

i am interested in pgy2 position beginning july 06. can u give me some info on how to apply? do u have FMGs in the program?

BUCHI said:
i am interested in pgy2 position beginning july 06. can u give me some info on how to apply? do u have FMGs in the program?

Call the Program office at 818-364-3205. Ask for Mark DeVany. We don't have FMGs in our program now, but it may be evaluated every year. Good luck!