OMFS at Jefferson in Philadelphia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFSguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you interested in a residency in OMFS at Jefferson, I felt compelled to give an honest, inside view because you certainly won't get that on your interview. Sorry guys, it's gonna be a rant because I'm sick that after having given half the story to interview candidates for so many years, I feel like I have to set the record straight... especially after the malignant experience I had there and now after hearing about one of the residents being terrorized beyond reason by the senior faculty of the OMFS department.

Jefferson has the 4 year and 6 year degree. I, myself, was part of the 6 year program and am a graduate who is still in contact with some of the residents at Jeff. When interviewing at Jefferson, I was very impressed with the staff, hospital and the overall feel of things. When I began as a resident, nothing was as it was stated in my interview. Tuesday academic days are non-existent. The attendings (Dr. Decidue, Dr. Taub) frequently use this time to book extra surgical cases and the residents end up being office gophers so the faculty can make more money. Be ready to write crazy amounts of percocet for people who you know have addiction issues, have no business getting another script and then having the attendings tell you that you shouldn't ask questions about it, you should just write it. What! Yeah, I can't tell you how many letters I've received about narc scripts I've had to write on behalf of these corrupt attendings. They recently hired an additional attending (Dr. Cho) who was a resident at Jeff and who has now made residency life an additional hell. Dr. Cho makes it his job to frequently chew people out in front of the entire department, write horrible reviews on all the residents and generally be a miserable person to everyone he comes in contact with on a day to day basis. Want to see a guy with a severe inferiority complex, look at Dr. Cho. What is most disturbing as someone who was a resident of this department is what they have recently done to one of the residents. One of the 6 year guys has a sick kid with a heart condition, recently found out he has cancer and was jerked around so much by the department such as not being allowed to start medical school when expected, taking extra courses mandated by Dr. Decidue before going to medical school, having to take a bunch of call for the department while on medical school rotations that also had call requirements and recently being told that he couldn't take time off to have surgery for his recently found cancer! Long and short, the guy tried to leave because he was so beaten down. The attending staff threatened him by adding tarnishing remarks to his record and telling him that he either stayed there or wasn't matriculating anywhere else with his newly damaged record! You know, everyone knows that a surgical residency is brutal, unfair, but usually, there is some kind of redeeming light that makes it all worth while. Don't count on any aspect being redeeming here at Jefferson. I'm finally finished and I can say, thank god. I have friends at OMFS programs all over the country and not one of them had some of the things to say about their program that I can say about mine. Think twice about going Jefferson. I hope one day soon that they get some new blood in there. Until then, it will be one of the most malignant, slave-driving programs out there that doesn't care one bit about their residents except for how much work and money they generate.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you interested in a residency in OMFS at Jefferson, I felt compelled to give an honest, inside view because you certainly won't get that on your interview. Sorry guys, it's gonna be a rant because I'm sick that after having given half the story to interview candidates for so many years, I feel like I have to set the record straight... especially after the malignant experience I had there and now after hearing about one of the residents being terrorized beyond reason by the senior faculty of the OMFS department.

Jefferson has the 4 year and 6 year degree. I, myself, was part of the 6 year program and am a graduate who is still in contact with some of the residents at Jeff. When interviewing at Jefferson, I was very impressed with the staff, hospital and the overall feel of things. When I began as a resident, nothing was as it was stated in my interview. Tuesday academic days are non-existent. The attendings (Dr. Decidue, Dr. Taub) frequently use this time to book extra surgical cases and the residents end up being office gophers so the faculty can make more money. Be ready to write crazy amounts of percocet for people who you know have addiction issues, have no business getting another script and then having the attendings tell you that you shouldn't ask questions about it, you should just write it. What! Yeah, I can't tell you how many letters I've received about narc scripts I've had to write on behalf of these corrupt attendings. They recently hired an additional attending (Dr. Cho) who was a resident at Jeff and who has now made residency life an additional hell. Dr. Cho makes it his job to frequently chew people out in front of the entire department, write horrible reviews on all the residents and generally be a miserable person to everyone he comes in contact with on a day to day basis. Want to see a guy with a severe inferiority complex, look at Dr. Cho. What is most disturbing as someone who was a resident of this department is what they have recently done to one of the residents. One of the 6 year guys has a sick kid with a heart condition, recently found out he has cancer and was jerked around so much by the department such as not being allowed to start medical school when expected, taking extra courses mandated by Dr. Decidue before going to medical school, having to take a bunch of call for the department while on medical school rotations that also had call requirements and recently being told that he couldn't take time off to have surgery for his recently found cancer! Long and short, the guy tried to leave because he was so beaten down. The attending staff threatened him by adding tarnishing remarks to his record and telling him that he either stayed there or wasn't matriculating anywhere else with his newly damaged record! You know, everyone knows that a surgical residency is brutal, unfair, but usually, there is some kind of redeeming light that makes it all worth while. Don't count on any aspect being redeeming here at Jefferson. I'm finally finished and I can say, thank god. I have friends at OMFS programs all over the country and not one of them had some of the things to say about their program that I can say about mine. Think twice about going Jefferson. I hope one day soon that they get some new blood in there. Until then, it will be one of the most malignant, slave-driving programs out there that doesn't care one bit about their residents except for how much work and money they generate.

That sounds terrible, and they really gave you the wrong idea at the interviews?

DDDAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!
Too bad. I actually had good impressions when I was there. I had a classmate who matched there too, hope he is alright.:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and just another quick bit of information for your friend. When it comes to evaluations of the attendings and the department, tell him don't bother being honest in writing them. They aren't confidential like they say they are. I know a good buddy of mine who wrote down a few honest comments on one of his evaluations and they absolutely knew it was him who said it and you can bet money they chewed him a new one for even putting something down that may say anything other than Jefferson OMFS is the best. One more thing... when the residents are logging their hours for the 80 hour tracking record system, they will definitely log way more than 80 hours. The attendings try to act oblivious to it as if they don't know that their residents may be over-worked and they actually tell the residents to speak up if they know they are going over their hours. Yeah, right! Who in their right mind would speak up to these kind of attendings. They are fully aware of the overage their residents work because they go in and change the overage from lets say 110 hours back down to 80 hours for each resident before submitting it to the governing agencies. Yep. Good luck to your friend, man.

Oh, and just another quick bit of information for your friend. When it comes to evaluations of the attendings and the department, tell him don't bother being honest in writing them. They aren't confidential like they say they are. I know a good buddy of mine who wrote down a few honest comments on one of his evaluations and they absolutely knew it was him who said it and you can bet money they chewed him a new one for even putting something down that may say anything other than Jefferson OMFS is the best. One more thing... when the residents are logging their hours for the 80 hour tracking record system, they will definitely log way more than 80 hours. The attendings try to act oblivious to it as if they don't know that their residents may be over-worked and they actually tell the residents to speak up if they know they are going over their hours. Yeah, right! Who in their right mind would speak up to these kind of attendings. They are fully aware of the overage their residents work because they go in and change the overage from lets say 110 hours back down to 80 hours for each resident before submitting it to the governing agencies. Yep. Good luck to your friend, man.

You should be proud of yourself for having withstood that much torture for over half a decade. If it were me I'd pretty much tell them to fu<k themselves regardless of the reprecussions.

Hello, sorry to bump this thread up.

The thread was 8 years ago. I am wondering the situation is still the same? Any input is appreciated.

Thank you
Dr. C is no longer an attending at TJU.