OMFS at USC, Miami (Jackson Hospital), Cook County

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rochrome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have info on the OMFS progams at USC, Miami (Jackson Hospital), and/or Cook County?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey- So I did a GPR at Jackson Memorial and was able to cater it to my interests-which allowed me 6 months in OMFS. The OMFS program at JMH is great if you are interested in trauma/complicated surgery (bi-coronals, pec-major flaps..etc). The attendings there are all really great and the program director Dr. Marx is one of the top OMFS guys in the country. The only real weakness in the program is implants-they have a rotation for a few months at the Miami VA where they place a ton of implants-but for the most part that is it. It depends what your looking for-although they do place implants, I prefer a program that does many implants throughout the 4 years to really hone your skills- but overall the JMH program is SUPER busy, super intense and alot of work-but then again, what OMFS program isnt!:thumbup:

For Jackson, see my post in the stickied "program overviews" above...

Pullem99... wuz up dude!

Members don't see this ad :)
"they place a ton of implants-but for the most part that is it"

You are hard to please buddy.

"I prefer a program that does many implants throughout the 4 years to really hone your skills"

Can you name a few programs that place many implants throughout general surgery, medicine and anesthesia?

Thanks.

thanks for that info bifid

would you recommend going to jmh for an externship?

If you can afford the time away from dental school then its definitely worth coming for an externship (good way to be remembered for future interviews). But unfortunately the rules of the hospital prohibit you form touching a patient. So in terms of getting any hands on clinical experience, scrubbing into a case etc... don't count on it. This makes the externship really an observership and it can be tiring and boring to not do anything. There are definitely better experiences. I couldn't come here as an extern when I was in dental school because I was required to have a clinical externship with hands on patient experiences. Anyway, if you can afford it in your schedule/budget then call the program and set it up.

supersonic-maybe my wording was unclear...so here we go-
I felt that the JMH program really only allowed exposure to implant placement during a few (3)month rotation-and that was it- I have heard from other OMFS residents that some programs (Nova,WHC) are a little more geared toward "bread and butter private practice" OMFS rather than the more intense, serious (and very interesting) trauma and cancer driven surgery's that are heavy in the Jackson programs-that being said-if you can handle the workload and volume at jackson then you can handle ANYTHING you will face when you graduate. Hope this clears things up-you sounded like a bit of a jerk in your reply-thank you.

supersonic-maybe my wording was unclear...so here we go-
I felt that the JMH program really only allowed exposure to implant placement during a few (3)month rotation-and that was it- I have heard from other OMFS residents that some programs (Nova,WHC) are a little more geared toward "bread and butter private practice" OMFS rather than the more intense, serious (and very interesting) trauma and cancer driven surgery's that are heavy in the Jackson programs-that being said-if you can handle the workload and volume at jackson then you can handle ANYTHING you will face when you graduate. Hope this clears things up-you sounded like a bit of a jerk in your reply-thank you.

Your wording was very clear, but poorly chosen.
You clearly stated "I prefer a program that does many implants throughout the 4 years to really hone your skills" which elucidates your lack of familiarity with the curriculum. Also, being trained to resect jaws and reconstruct does nothing to prepare you to restore occlusion through implant dentistry.
Hope this clears things up - you sounded a bit clueless.