OMFS calls/letters from directors about rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrLefort7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how many of you have received calls from programs saying how they are ranking you?

As of now, I have received two personalized thank you letters post-interview which were non-specific other than "you are an excellent candidate...blah blah." And two calls saying that "we are ranking you very high, do you have any questions for us?"

What is the protocol for dealing with these? Should we take them seriously?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering the same thing.

Do all programs do this? Or is it just a select few?

Members don't see this ad :)
So how many of you have received calls from programs saying how they are ranking you?

As of now, I have received two personalized thank you letters post-interview which were non-specific other than "you are an excellent candidate...blah blah." And two calls saying that "we are ranking you very high, do you have any questions for us?"

What is the protocol for dealing with these? Should we take them seriously?:confused:

good. now you can rank those programs last and actually rank the programs you want high.

Uh oh....haven't received any such calls. Have many people heard from no one?? I hope that doesn't mean smthng bad!! It's gonna be a long month....comments??

Good luck everyone!!

A faculty member at our school said those programs that do this just want to have more control over the match and this allows them to pick who they want and be at less exposure to the randomness that hits some programs come match day.

And he also said they don't have this type of communication with applicants because that is what the rules dictate.

Which programs are doing this? Highly sought after places or ones at the bottom? Just curious.

thats what is so great about match, it really is in the applicants favor. screw those program directors out there trying to bias your opinion and rank list. im willing to bet if you got those phone calls and letters, a lot of the other people you interviewed with did too.

even if one of those directors rank you #1, you can rank that program dead last and you are gauranteed to match, and odds are at a place you want to be at.

i never got anything specific after an interview and still got my first choice. fwiw.

I haven't heard anything... and I interviewed at a ton of places. So either I REALLY suck or the majority don't do this.

A faculty member at our school said those programs that do this just want to have more control over the match and this allows them to pick who they want and be at less exposure to the randomness that hits some programs come match day.

I have heard this too and think it is right on. I have had to keep it in mind. One of the schools I interviewed at I knew right away that I would be ranking them quite low even though the interview went well. When I got a call later from the director saying they were ranking me high, it almost got me to change my rank order.

Even though it's tempting to be swayed by flattery, I will be keeping my list as it is!

be calm - rank how you want it to turn out. dont be worried about having a possible cushion

I only received one letter from a program thanking me for interviewing, but that they would not be in any further contact because they wanted to maintain the integrity of the match. They said not to take this as a positive or negative. I have heard, as well, of programs in past matches calling to say they are ranking candidates high...at least two of these programs are ones that I interviewed at, but have heard nothing from since my interview.

Curiously, for those of you who have received calls, which programs are doing this? The letter I received was from Indiana, and I really appreciated the fact that they sent us all letters to let us know that they would not be trying to "beat the match" by convincing those that they really wanted to rank Indiana high. I know that influenced my choice to rank Indiana higher than I would have otherwise.

But I would like to know if some of the other programs I interviewed at didn't contact me, but did others...not that I would "rat anyone out"...just curious.