OMFS Externship Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamlc18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find any info on this so I thought I would ask here. Is it better to go on more, shorter externships (1 or 1.5 weeks) so I can get exposure to more programs or is it better to spend 3 weeks at a program?

I was also wondering how early I should be submitting applications to programs for next summer.

Last question: Should I only extern at programs I am interested in attending or is it worth it to extern at a program where I would get exposure to a wider scope of procedures where I might get to do some procedures which other programs only let you assist on? I only ask because some of the 6-yr programs have excellent reputations for allowing their externs to experience a lot, but I am unlikely to apply to many, if any 6-yr programs.

Thanks to for all the input and insight.

Members don't see this ad.

adamlc18 said:
I couldn't find any info on this so I thought I would ask here. Is it better to go on more, shorter externships (1 or 1.5 weeks) so I can get exposure to more programs or is it better to spend 3 weeks at a program?

I was also wondering how early I should be submitting applications to programs for next summer.

Last question: Should I only extern at programs I am interested in attending or is it worth it to extern at a program where I would get exposure to a wider scope of procedures where I might get to do some procedures which other programs only let you assist on? I only ask because some of the 6-yr programs have excellent reputations for allowing their externs to experience a lot, but I am unlikely to apply to many, if any 6-yr programs.

Thanks to for all the input and insight.
I think you can answer your own question. Do you have a couple programs that you are really interested in, or do you feel like you need a little exposure to them all to feel them out? If you have a pretty good idea where you'd like to go, I'd spend a longer externship with them. The longer you spend with a program, the better that they will get to know you.

I would recommend focusing your time on programs that you are interested in. I think getting your foot in the door by getting to know the people in the program is more important than being able to say that you did a vermillion border repair or wired 4 mandibles.

I'm interested to hear what other people think...

I think 2 weeks is perfect. You get a feel for the program and you can get to know the residents a little. I think any longer and you run the risk of becoming annoying. At the end of two weeks you know them enough to start joking around but you don't want to go too far because you're just an extern and no one wants to take crap from an extern. I did 4 2-weekers and I was happy. By the end of 2 weeks I was ready to leave anyways, except at LSU, because you could do whatever you wanted there.

I say extern where you want to go as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, 2 weeks is truly plenty. I did a few externships starting sophomore year and by my senior year I did 4 weeks at one program that i was truly interested in. By the end of the second week, I wanted to slit my wrists! It was such a boring program and nothing like what was reported to me in terms of expectations and externship duties (that all changed with new faculty, they just never updated their forms). I lost a lot of respect for the program after seeing the back-stabbing the faculty were doing to eachother, let alone how much back-stabbing was going on with the residents and what type of residents it produced. HUGE PERSONALITY DEFECTS!

Thankfully, all my other externships were awesome experiences. 2 weeks is perfect.

I did:
one 4-week externship (LSU NO)
two 3-week externships (Minnesota & Cook County)
one 2-week externship (Parkland)

At LSU NO: had a blast, by the end of 3 weeks, I believe I've gained the most that I can gain at that time of my dental knowledge. By the 4th week, I started to let the other newer externs to do everything and I just stand around and chatted with the new interns/residents. Looking back, 4 weeks was too long, but what a great first externship for me!

At Minnesota and Cook County: had a blast, to me, I strongly believe 3-week externships were perfect. It takes you about a week to know the residency system and weekly schedules. By week two, you'll most likely know where most of the things are in the hospital (paperwork, different wards, underground cafeterias), know most if not all the attendings, staff and residents' names, and getting really cranking on the outpatient clinic. By the third week, this is when you hopefully have earned the full trust of the residents where they may allow you to do some cool stuff and let you do more things on your own.

At Parkland: had a blast, residents there were hilarious (great sense of humor). Now that Doggie's there, he definitely had decreased the "coolness" for those guys. I felt that 2 weeks were fine, but I was sad that I had to leave when I was just getting to know the guys and having a blast! Like I said above, it takes about two weeks to get into full swing of things in every aspect and by leaving was kind of a bummer. I initially had a 4-week externship approved at Parkland, but I had to cut my participation length down due to lack of financial means (damn financial aid didn't disburse in time).

Bottom line, here are things I highly recommend in regards to externships:

1) do 3-week externship(s) at place(s) that you are really interested (it will give you chances to really know the program)
2) do 2-week externship(s) at place(s) when you are running out of time to do externships (your 4th year of dental school) and/or you want to see as many programs as you can (you'll miss a lot by leaving the program only after two weeks)
3) 1-week externships to me is just a waste of time - no good
4) do a 4-week externship only at programs where they allow you to do a lot of hands-on stuff where you can really experience what an OMFS residency is like AND you're starting early (if your first externship is b/n your 2nd & 3rd year) OR if it's your first externship ever

BTW, if you're doing an externship, I don't care what the participation length is, please take some calls! And when you take call, stay in house! Your externship will not be a true experience if you don't take calls frequently and if you don't stay in-house! The resident that you take call with, you will really bond with them. Most of the time, you can choose and pick which residents that you want to take calls with. I've met many externs who chose not to take calls or if they did take call, they didn't want to stay in-house.

I tend to agree that 2 weeks is enough. I did 4 externships...a 2 week, a 2 week, a 3 week, and a 10-days. I really liked seeing a variety of programs. It's fun to get to do a lot, but that doesn't take you very far when you're applying and making rank decisions.

I would also recommend not externing at your own program unless you really want to go there, or unless the residents tell you that you need to extern there to get in. If you make the effort, you can spend a lot of time with them anyway without wasting precious summer/holidays when you could be going elsewhere.

On interviews, you will get asked a lot about your extern experiences. Interestingly, this seems to also be a way for faculty to learn about other programs.