OMFS Extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carabelliscusp

Reaction score
Current D3 with a poor (50th percentile) rank who is currently studying for the CBSE to take it in July 2023. My only ECs are E-board from a few unrelated clubs, a poster presentation on microbiology research I did last summer. Besides getting a few externships, are there any other good ECs I can look to to enhance my application? I spend basically all my time studying for the CBSE so I'm unsure what the best use of my time is.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm not surprised to hear this but how can I get half decent LORs without showing face in some sort of EC? That's another worry of mine. I do rotations in the school OS clinic and try to impress in some sort of way but I can only leave so much of a mark considering I rotate there like 2 days a month and can't do any extra

You could try to do some research with an OMFS attending, externing at my home program/ spending breaks coming in and shadowing was how I got to know the residents and faculty.

OMFS resident here - not going to be redundant but I agree with whats been said above. In regards to your rank, honestly, some PD's care a lot about rank and others don't as much as long as your CBSE is competitive. Just my .02.
Good luck and study hard.

OMFS resident here - not going to be redundant but I agree with whats been said above. In regards to your rank, honestly, some PD's care a lot about rank and others don't as much as long as your CBSE is competitive. Just my .02.
Is there a way to find out which PDs value CBSE over rank? like some unofficial list. assuming the CBSE goes well for me lol.

I don't know if there's an unofficial list, its more of asking around during externships while youre at programs to see what they are looking for.

Vice versa to some extent as well