OMFS Facial Cosmetic Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wisetoothshucker

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a pgy2 in OMFS, I'd like some insight on what people think of facial cosmetic surgery for OMFS. I really like the surgeries. How is it in practice, how challenging is it to build your practice Financially how does it tend to compare to traditional teeth and titanium? It's hard to gauge success but even the well known OMFS facial cosmetic surgeons don't have the biggest IG following, which maybe doesn't indicate success but its something. I've seen many who are trained in the fellowship but end up doing teeth and titanium and not facial cosmetics. I'm just curious if its worth pursuing.
 
Only worth pursuing if it’s something you truly are interested in.

Remember, in doing any OS fellowship you’re asking for
Pay cut only for the duration of the fellowship or for the duration of the career?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I
Pay cut only for the duration of the fellowship or for the duration of the career?
I think at the beginning it’s hard to compete with plastic surgeons, because many people see us as “just dentists.” But after you become well-known, I believe the income can be even better than oral surgery. I know people who earn 40–50 thousand dollars per procedure.
 
I

I think at the beginning it’s hard to compete with plastic surgeons, because many people see us as “just dentists.” But after you become well-known, I believe the income can be even better than oral surgery. I know people who earn 40–50 thousand dollars per procedure.
Why not just do all on X tho? I think you can make the same money with that
 
Yeah, I think it’s hard to beat teeth and titanium (all on X), with money and work life balance. I definitely want to keep that, which may make it hard to do both facial cosmetics and teeth, not sure.

I think my main interest right now isn’t so much a heavy passion for facial cosmetics, although I like the surgeries, but I want to do some bigger surgeries that pay well. But maybe I can fulfill that itch with just keeping teeth and doing trauma here and there.

The things I don’t like about cosmetics are the competition (I’m not crazy about not being seen as the best provider and I think the reality is plastics will always be viewed as the best, though I’m sure if your results speak for themselves it helps). The patients may be more litigious. And building the practice probably takes significant time and money.

But you guys answered my question, it sounds like if someone is willing to dedicate themselves to it, it can pay off, but if money is strictly the reason it’s not suggested
 
Yeah, I think it’s hard to beat teeth and titanium (all on X), with money and work life balance. I definitely want to keep that, which may make it hard to do both facial cosmetics and teeth, not sure.

I think my main interest right now isn’t so much a heavy passion for facial cosmetics, although I like the surgeries, but I want to do some bigger surgeries that pay well. But maybe I can fulfill that itch with just keeping teeth and doing trauma here and there.

The things I don’t like about cosmetics are the competition (I’m not crazy about not being seen as the best provider and I think the reality is plastics will always be viewed as the best, though I’m sure if your results speak for themselves it helps). The patients may be more litigious. And building the practice probably takes significant time and money.

But you guys answered my question, it sounds like if someone is willing to dedicate themselves to it, it can pay off, but if money is strictly the reason it’s not suggested
I don't think that PRS is necessarily seen as the best, they just do a higher volume of cosmetic surgery. There are plenty of successful ENT facial plastics. As long as you market yourself properly I think the public is happy to go to a cosmetics trained OMFS. I think the MD helps a lot in this sphere.

I'm also considering this type of practice as I'm not fond of dentoalveolar surgery.
 
Teeth and titanium is more profitable. Body cosmetics is more profitable than face cosmetics. That is why other specialties like OMFS and ENT can dive into the face sphere. The PRS guys just want to do body. Some will even hire someone to just do the face. The body is more money and less stakes. At the end of the day, it’s all about reputation. No one actually cares about your base specialty at the end of the day and if they really do, it’s probably someone you didn’t want to touch anyway. The omfs guys doing cosmetics are very busy in it. Angelo Cuzalina, Eric Nuveen, John Koehler, etc. They’re OMFS exclusively doing full body and face cosmetics. There’s a lot more out there too of people that have done their fellowships. In the end, it’s not the fellowship, it’s really the person that makes or breaks their practice. Not their base residency, or fellowship. ENT facial plastics guys are probably some of the best at the face. 5 years in the face and 1 year focusing on that. Some of best rhino surgeons are ENT based like Toriumi.
 
Love the conversation, thinking about the same myself. Some OMFS cosmetic surgeons don't even advertise their MD 🤣Only thing I have also heard is that you "own" the patients, as opposed to taking out their tooth/placing an implant and never seeing them again. Something to keep in mind.
 
Teeth and titanium is more profitable. Body cosmetics is more profitable than face cosmetics. That is why other specialties like OMFS and ENT can dive into the face sphere. The PRS guys just want to do body. Some will even hire someone to just do the face. The body is more money and less stakes. At the end of the day, it’s all about reputation. No one actually cares about your base specialty at the end of the day and if they really do, it’s probably someone you didn’t want to touch anyway. The omfs guys doing cosmetics are very busy in it. Angelo Cuzalina, Eric Nuveen, John Koehler, etc. They’re OMFS exclusively doing full body and face cosmetics. There’s a lot more out there too of people that have done their fellowships. In the end, it’s not the fellowship, it’s really the person that makes or breaks their practice. Not their base residency, or fellowship. ENT facial plastics guys are probably some of the best at the face. 5 years in the face and 1 year focusing on that. Some of best rhino surgeons are ENT based like Toriumi.
Is it fair to say that the ceiling is higher in facial cosmetics than teeth and titanium, but the average person will make more in teeth a titanium? I guess maybe a wider range of income in facial cosmetics. I just think in theory you can charge more per procedure in facial cosmetics, but the challenge is becoming established
 
was looking at the list of facial plastic surgeries done by ENT surgeons, and for one procedure they charge $300,000.💀
Is it fair to say that the ceiling is higher in facial cosmetics than teeth and titanium, but the average person will make more in teeth a titanium? I guess maybe a wider range of income in facial cosmetics. I just think in theory you can charge more per procedure in facial cosmetics, but the challenge is becoming established
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
can anyone speak on the quality of OMFS facial cosmetics fellowships? How confident is the average fellow at performing facelifts and rhinos after fellowship? From the outsider's view it seems as if ENT controls the "face" market so I am curious if it is a matter of the quality of training they receive vs OMFS or if it just appears they do because of the sheer number of ENT practicing facial plastics compared to OMFS.