omfs for ftd's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxfaxkoh

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a foreign trained non dual degree maxillofacial surgeon with a couple of years experience. I am thinking of applying to 4/6 year Omfs programs in the US. I'll be taking my exams as soon as the Covid situation improves around the world. I was wondering if there are any programs that consider foreign graduates without an advanced standing. Honestly speaking, i do not have the money to invest into an IDP program. My profile includes a fellowship in cleft surgeries, certification from both the international board of omfs and royal college of surgeons, Edinburgh. I have an internship experience with Stanford Biodesign(have two patents) along with awards at innovation competitions. I also have a 3 publications though, my GPA is a little low (3.3-ECE). I know OMFS programs are extremely competitive especially for people like me without any US degrees. However, there's an exception to every rule. Do my credentials make me a strong applicant for the limited number of schools that might consider non US graduates for OMFS residency?
Any help would be well appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is unlikely for you to be considered. OMFS is highly competitive

honestly, if you don't try you'll never know. Also, out of experience, sometimes having a degree already qualifies you over gp's , even as a foreign trained dentist. Sometimes they take the most unexpected candidates. Go for it.
best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There was some data from last year on this. Out of all the accepted candidates to OMFS there was only 1 international. I'd assume that candidate must have been an OMFS in their home country or was a stellar candidate overall.

As I see it, you would need a License to practice Dentistry in US and then You can apply for OMFS programs after some years of practice or Residency.
Yes, its tough being a FTD, but all good things are hard to get.
Please write up a strong application/ Resume and my suggestion is to apply in 2 yr AEGD program for FTDs in University of Rochester"s Eastman Dental.
I had been Interviewed once but was rejected. With Your Kind of Resume, I feel you have a strong chance of geeting accepted.
All the best !!

Hi everyone. I am a foreign trained non dual degree maxillofacial surgeon with a couple of years experience. I am thinking of applying to 4/6 year Omfs programs in the US. I'll be taking my exams as soon as the Covid situation improves around the world. I was wondering if there are any programs that consider foreign graduates without an advanced standing. Honestly speaking, i do not have the money to invest into an IDP program. My profile includes a fellowship in cleft surgeries, certification from both the international board of omfs and royal college of surgeons, Edinburgh. I have an internship experience with Stanford Biodesign(have two patents) along with awards at innovation competitions. I also have a 3 publications though, my GPA is a little low (3.3-ECE). I know OMFS programs are extremely competitive especially for people like me without any US degrees. However, there's an exception to every rule. Do my credentials make me a strong applicant for the limited number of schools that might consider non US graduates for OMFS residency?

Upon reviewing the websites of a few programs, I found out that they all pretty much ask for the same thing:
1) you need to have a dental degree from a CODA accredited US program, or a Canadian dental program
2) you need to be a US citizen, have a permanent residency status in the US (greencard), or at least be a Canadian citizen

Also when looking at dental licensing boards (state level), they require that you have graduated from a dental program in the US, a Canadian program, or a CODA approved dental school outside of the US and Canada. I tried researching but couldn't a definitive list of these international CODA approved programs. Hopefully your school would be a CODA approved international dental school.

There must be exceptions to this rule. Especially for qualified candidates like yourself. I would contact individual programs and see if they can make exceptions.
If all of them say no then you would be forced to get your dental degree before applying for residency.

Upon reviewing the websites of a few programs, I found out that they all pretty much ask for the same thing:
1) you need to have a dental degree from a CODA accredited US program, or a Canadian dental program
2) you need to be a US citizen, have a permanent residency status in the US (greencard), or at least be a Canadian citizen

Also when looking at dental licensing boards (state level), they require that you have graduated from a dental program in the US, a Canadian program, or a CODA approved dental school outside of the US and Canada. I tried researching but couldn't a definitive list of these international CODA approved programs. Hopefully your school would be a CODA approved international dental school.

There must be exceptions to this rule. Especially for qualified candidates like yourself. I would contact individual programs and see if they can make exceptions.
If all of them say no then you would be forced to get your dental degree before applying for residency.
This could be why it’s super rare. Perhaps there’s no benefit for you to do a us or Canadian program if you can’t practice in North America anyways

Hey, have you taken NBME exam ?

Hey, have you taken the nbme exam ?