OMFS inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS2T5

Reaction score
Hello!

Incoming DS1 at a Canadian university. I am interested in keeping OMFS as an option in the future and was wondering what I should do within the next 4 years to make myself a compatible applicant.

I plan on applying to the US and Canada for residency placements.

Some questions I have
1) do most programs look at GPA for all 4 years?
2) how important is research and extra curriculars and are some favored over others?
3) what are some ball park figures for how much it costs to specialize?

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

1) Yes, but CBSE is far more important
2) Not very. Focus on the CBSE, grades, and experience in surgery.
3) OHSU and NYU are free. Texas A&M was cheap. Most are full med school price for 2-3 years. If you go to a 4-year, there is no school, therefore no tuition.

You probably knew this already - only some programs will accept Canadians without US citizenship, especially if you didn’t do dental school in the states.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Yes, but CBSE is far more important
2) Not very. Focus on the CBSE, grades, and experience in surgery.
3) OHSU and NYU are free. Texas A&M was cheap. Most are full med school price for 2-3 years. If you go to a 4-year, there is no school, therefore no tuition.

You probably knew this already - only some programs will accept Canadians without US citizenship, especially if you didn’t do dental school in the states.
Vital information,, thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s better, but there are still many programs which only accept US citizens. I don’t have the list, but if you speak to Canadian applicants, I’m sure they have it.
What if I am at a Canadian Dental school but also have US citizenship? How that that change my chances then for applying to a US OMFS residency?

Do an internship at the school you want to do OMFS and get a super high CBSE. Youre pretty likely to get in at that point...