OMFS letters of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogecointothemoon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to OS this cycle and I have a question about letter writers. I am sure this has been asked somewhere, but I will ask it again and hopefully everyone this cycle can benefit. I currently have 4 letter writers, 3 are from full time OS faculty at my school that I know well, the other letter writer is someone I see every day in clinic who is not an OS faculty but is a clinical dentist. For my final letter I would like to ask an oral surgeon that I worked for and that knows me very well but is not associated with any academic institution. Is this frowned upon or does it not really matter who the fifth letter writer is?

Members don't see this ad.

You already have your solid three. I wouldn’t worry too much about the fifth letter from private OS. You should still get it if he or she knows you well. Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
I am applying to OS this cycle and I have a question about letter writers. I am sure this has been asked somewhere, but I will ask it again and hopefully everyone this cycle can benefit. I currently have 4 letter writers, 3 are from full time OS faculty at my school that I know well, the other letter writer is someone I see every day in clinic who is not an OS faculty but is a clinical dentist. For my final letter I would like to ask an oral surgeon that I worked for and that knows me very well but is not associated with any academic institution. Is this frowned upon or does it not really matter who the fifth letter writer is?
1 from home PD, 2 from home OS faculty, +/- other OMFSs or DMDs who are special or know you very well.

That’s the standard it seems. So you’re good.

Reactions: 1 user