OMFS-- minimum new board scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brookiereleaser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There's people at my school with 88 and 89 raking in interviews, so I guess we'll see. Some have said the scoring system has been adjusted too, so who knows? Just do literally the best you can make yourself do and apply with no regrets.

The 90 mark was initially set as a min score for 6yr residents passing step I. There are many qualified and outstanding residents who do not have a 90 (old format) even in 6yr programs. Score as high as you can, and do some externships, work hard in D-school, EC, LOR, etc. nothing has changed about making yourself the best candidate you can be.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's people at my school with 88 and 89 raking in interviews, so I guess we'll see. Some have said the scoring system has been adjusted too, so who knows? Just do literally the best you can make yourself do and apply with no regrets.

Are your friends who are raking in interviews getting them from 4 year programs or 6 year programs? i'm just curious if the 6 year programs have somewhat laxed on their standard 90 cutoff criteria.

Are your friends who are raking in interviews getting them from 4 year programs or 6 year programs? i'm just curious if the 6 year programs have somewhat laxed on their standard 90 cutoff criteria.

Only one person applying for OMFS from Pacific this year applied to any 6 year programs, and yes she's getting interviews. I don't know what her score is though.

Only one person applying for OMFS from Pacific this year applied to any 6 year programs, and yes she's getting interviews. I don't know what her score is though.

'she' has a very good score

There are some more 6-year apps from Pacific and they aren't getting interviews at the 89 level for the most part. The 91+ one(s) are for sure.

UCSF med school still wants the 90 to be considered according to hear-say from an applicant.

I'm sure some med schools are still hard set on the 90 issues. However, there are several people in my class applying to OS who I know do NOT have 90, getting very impressive interviews. Top tier programs like Emory, Maryland, Portland, Pitt, etc.

It's an interesting year for applying with all the changes, but the board score trial may have different verdicts at different programs. The jury is still out nation wide until match day I suppose....

Louisville definitely takes a 90 to interview...Kushner relayed the info to me at AAOMS this year. Med school mandate.

Louisville definitely takes a 90 to interview...Kushner relayed the info to me at AAOMS this year. Med school mandate.

Will be VERY interesting to see what the med schools "mandate" a year from now when all they get is PASS/FAIL dental board score reports and transcripts from many of dental schools are also PASS/FAIL. :rolleyes:

Will be VERY interesting to see what the med schools "mandate" a year from now when all they get is PASS/FAIL dental board score reports and transcripts from many of dental schools are also PASS/FAIL. :rolleyes:
The MCAT for 6 year programs?

Hey MS, don't quote me on this, but I heard somewhere recently that the whole P/F change over is now no longer going to happen. I may have heard this from our class ADEA rep...I'll check into it. Either way, I think it's a pretty bad idea to all of a sudden remove the only universal, objective measure of applicant strength from the process. Smiles-

Hey MS, don't quote me on this, but I heard somewhere recently that the whole P/F change over is now no longer going to happen. I may have heard this from our class ADEA rep...I'll check into it. Either way, I think it's a pretty bad idea to all of a sudden remove the only universal, objective measure of applicant strength from the process. Smiles-

Please let us know... provide a source from the ADEA if you can. The last we heard directly from the ADEA it is still planned to take effect jan 2010.

Hey MS, don't quote me on this, but I heard somewhere recently that the whole P/F change over is now no longer going to happen. I may have heard this from our class ADEA rep.

Yup... heard the same thing from an ADEA rep at my school. That was the feeling they took away from the latest conference. As mentioned above, it seems to have yet be put in writing.

Here is an excerpt from the email we received from our ADEA rep about a month ago. She has a national position with ADEA and is well informed, so I would say that this info is pretty reliable.

National Board part one

NO longer going pass/fail in 2010, instead this will be pushed back one year. For now the ADA and Advanced Education Summit of ADEA (all the specialty programs) have decided that they will move this date back to Nov. 1st 2011 and that a P/F test will be required at that time.

Until then, ADEA is working with the ADA to make a new test- YES A NEW AND DIFFERENT PART ONE BOARD EXAM- that is more valid, eliminates cheating and has a better way to measure necessary info needed to succeed in advanced education. For now it is still scheduled to eventually become pass fail. Various Councils of ADEA are working with the ADA to keep numerical values associated with this test. Schools feel this is necessary to know which subject matter needs improvement within the curriculum, how to rank their school, and of course so that they can rank students applying to specialty schools.

Specialty programs are aware of the sudden drop in scores at a national level and confirmed to the council of students that they will compare “apples to apples,” as each year has significantly different means and standard deviations in scores. Comparing a score from 2008 applicant is much different that an applicant who took the exam in 2004 and is now wanting to specialize. I assure you that you will have no problem with acceptance to specialty programs based on this changing national average.