OMFS moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFSQuestions

Reaction score
Anyone have any insight on which OMFS programs still allow a strong moonlighting experience? Especially interested in during med school.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought all of them allowed moonlighting during med school to some extent

Very few (if any) will officially allow it for liability reasons. Most will tolerate it. Most have a “don’t ask, don’t tell” stance.

No program is going to advertise they allow it, but if you privately ask a resident, they will give you the scoop.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP raises a very important question. My program expressly forbids it and I deeply regret that.

Reactions: 1 user
OP raises a very important question. My program expressly forbids it and I deeply regret that.
Yes it varies among program to program.

4 year programs generally don’t allow this (there is not enough time to even consider it anyways).

In regards to 6 year programs a lot of them do allow moonlighting, especially during the med school years.

I agree with what was mentioned previously - you can ask a resident during the interview or during an externships, but beware some may take this the wrong way.

Last edited:
I’ve been able to pay for medical school thanks to moonlighting. And I’m a way better clinician and resident thanks to my time moonlighting.

I think it’s a reasonable question to ask a resident in private, but do not ever ask an attending about moonlighting.

Last edited:
I’ve been able to pay for medical school thanks to moonlighting. And I’m a way better clinician and resident thanks to my time moonlighting.

I think it’s a reasonable question to ask a resident in private, but do not ever ask an attending about moonlighting.

Even during interviews?

Currently a resident at Baylor. We strongly encourage it and emphasize it during interviews. You are able to moonlight as much as you want during medical school. I moonlighted anywhere from 16-50 hours a week as an MS2. During MS3, you moonlight from 4-8 pm (after clerkships). Additionally, some people have worked on weekends. PM me if you have any specific questions.

As an aside, during interviews, I would also ask about how strict the medical school is in terms of mandatory lecture/labs etc. Even if the program does allow moonlighting, if you're going to be stuck in class everyday from 8-5 pm, you might as well not even be able to moonlight.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
We strongly encourage it and emphasize it during interviews. You are able to moonlight as much as you want during medical school. I moonlighted anywhere from 16-50 hours a week as an MS2. During MS3, you moonlight from 4-8 pm (after clerkships). Additionally, some people have worked on weekends.
This is the way

new to this moonlighting concept. Are you moonlighting in some private practice as a dentist?

new to this moonlighting concept. Are you moonlighting in some private practice as a dentist?
Mainly out of a community health center doing extractions. Some people have gigs in private practices. Attendings at the hospital know what we do and are cool with it. They let us leave early to go moonlight which is nice.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
UAB and Louisville are two programs that allow moonlighting and the residents all do it.

Mainly out of a community health center doing extractions. Some people have gigs in private practices. Attendings at the hospital know what we do and are cool with it. They let us leave early to go moonlight which is nice.
I'm sure it varies, but in your experience what is the pay like?

At the community health center, it’s $75/hour during the day and $100/hour during night clinic. It’s a pretty low stress gig. Regardless of how many patients show up, you’re getting paid. Some nights I’ll have only 1 show up but I’m still being paid the full 4 hours I’m there. Also, they’re very accommodating of our med school schedules.

Obviously, if you’re going to moonlight in private practice, you could probably make more; however, there is much more stress that comes along with that.

Last edited:
33-39% production. Typical day is take home of $2000-$3000, sometimes it’s a lot of consults and it can be $500, sometimes it’s a lot of implants and it’s $4000-$5000

Thanks to all who responded. Seems like it varies a lot. The answer is probably no, but 4 years residents can’t moonlight either?

Thanks to all who responded. Seems like it varies a lot. The answer is probably no, but 4 years residents can’t moonlight either?
I’m sure there are some 4 year residents that moonlight; however, it’s not like the moonlighting you can do during med school. In a 4 year residency, you’re probably going to be tired when you’re not working so you likely won’t want to/have the energy to moonlight.

Last edited: