OMFS-Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molarjuncky

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that you get out of a residency what u put into it. However, if private practice is my intention afte a residency, which OS programs prepare you more to that route? would really like to see a list of programs w/ pros and cons.

Members don't see this ad.

molarjuncky said:
I realize that you get out of a residency what u put into it. However, if private practice is my intention afte a residency, which OS programs prepare you more to that route? would really like to see a list of programs w/ pros and cons.
Every program prepares you for private practice.

tx oms said:
Every program prepares you for private practice.

Yeh, but if you don't want to do panfacials every week, there are certainly some that are better than others. And, actually, I would disagree that the "full scope" practices that most think are in the top do a great job of preparing you for private practice. The implant numbers at some of the top programs are atrocious. I believe that if you really are set on traditional private practice (ie, thirds, implants, limited grafting, maybe an orthognathic case) that a four year is much preferable to a six year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jediwendell said:
Yeh, but if you don't want to do panfacials every week, there are certainly some that are better than others. And, actually, I would disagree that the "full scope" practices that most think are in the top do a great job of preparing you for private practice. The implant numbers at some of the top programs are atrocious. I believe that if you really are set on traditional private practice (ie, thirds, implants, limited grafting, maybe an orthognathic case) that a four year is much preferable to a six year.
I agree. My program has limited 3rd molar and implant exposure. Adequate, but limited compared to others.

how many implants is adequate exposure? we finish with about 100 but i think we sometimes miss out on the treatment planning and work up which is probably more important. Sticking them in is not the difficult part.

Just like to commend the OMFsers on catapaulting an emphatic interest of surgery evident in this forum. Thanks for sharing.

toofache32 said:
I agree. My program has limited 3rd molar and implant exposure. Adequate, but limited compared to others.
do u mind telling me what program u r in? pm if u like.
what instead is your program strong at?
thanx

molarjuncky said:
do u mind telling me what program u r in? pm if u like.
what instead is your program strong at?
thanx

I'm at Parkland in Dallas, TX. We are strong in trauma, rhinoplasty, moh's reconstruction / skin cancer, facial plastics, and craniofacial. But you don't get paid very well for most of these things.

It's pretty easy to pick up speed doing 3rd molars when you get into private practice, but it's impossible to learn anterior cranial vault reshaping or nosejobs. Make sure your residency fits your goals.

toofache32 said:
I'm at Parkland in Dallas, TX. We are strong in trauma, rhinoplasty, moh's reconstruction / skin cancer, facial plastics, and craniofacial.

It's pretty easy to pick up speed doing 3rd molars when you get into private practice, but it's impossible to learn anterior cranial vault reshaping or nosejobs. Make sure your residency fits your goals.

...and strong in afro-gnathic surgery

molarjuncky said:

There are plenty of threads discussing which programs are good, you need to define your goals.

I would strongly look at 4 year programs if private practice is your ABSOLUTE goal. if you want to do a fellowship or live in a state like california then you need to consider doing an integrated 6 year. The 4 year with MD option is not a good idea as you have to do a year of residency following med school to get a license.

You then need to decide if you want to be in a public/county hospital or private hospital. generally speaking county hospital = larger volume vs. private = more attending involvement (positive and negative)

next dental school affiliation.... pros and cons to this as well. you have to help out the students but get their referals (implants, 3rds etc)

finally you need to figure out your planned scope of practice: teeth and titaniam vs long OR cases and trauma or somewhere inbetween. Private practice vary quite a bit, Your scope may be dictated by your training experience.

Personally, I went with a full scope 6 year county hospital based integrated program. I wanted to have all the options available to me when I am done.

thank u guys for these replies. in which states besides CA would the MD help?nowthen, in terms of long term benefit and survival of my career, am I limiting my future if I decide on the 4 yr route? I guess what I am trying to get at is: Is there a trend to eliminate 4 yrs trained OS?

molarjuncky said:
thank u guys for these replies. in which states besides CA would the MD help?nowthen, in terms of long term benefit and survival of my career, am I limiting my future if I decide on the 4 yr route? I guess what I am trying to get at is: Is there a trend to eliminate 4 yrs trained OS?

Gary Ruska can give you Gary Ruska's opinion on this controversial issue. GR (Gary Ruska) believes that the system will remain as it is - most of the higher ups in AAOMS and the state societies are single-degree guys, and the specialty has been very steadfast about the fact that there is NO DIFFERENCE in ability between 4- and 6-year trained guys.

Now, if you're coming over to Gary Ruskopolis and have an MD, that's great - but you'd better be able to take out thirds, put in implants, and do some Ruskognathic surgery, otherwise, GR will put on a pimpface and beat you down like a five dolla ho.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
any info about texas, oklahoma, La programs would be appreciated. case loads, attendings, and whatever u want to say.

molarjuncky said:
any info about texas, oklahoma, La programs would be appreciated. case loads, attendings, and whatever u want to say.

LA programs kick a$$.....Generally speaking, programs in the south are well-known to be good programs.