OMFS Program Concerns?

Started by PATZI
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PATZI

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I've been a lurker for some time but a lot of the current topics drew me in to make an account to ask this question. I am currently in the application cycle for OMFS and I have read plenty of posts regarding the state of some programs which were once considered strong. Can we discuss different concerns/red flags at programs or programs to be wary of in this application cycle? Let's keep it civil, but I do believe it is important to address some of these concerns prior to interviews as I'm sure all the interviews will paint their respective programs in a positive light. Again, would be nice to keep things civil!
 
Really just stability and culture at a lot of programs. There are minimal program overviews nowadays and its hard to figure out these aspects when you can only extern at a few places. I have seen more threads regarding program transfer than ever before which has been highly concerning.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UF JAX and LSU NOLA are the two big ones
Indeed the 2 to definitely avoid (UFJax and LSU) apparently the acting Jax PD is a complete idiot with bad intentions. I would also like to note that UAB and OU have gotten a bad reputation but I can assure the readers that this was an issue with residents not the program.
 
Unfortunately all of these programs listed above use **** load of gaslighting or some sort of manipulation. If it was an issue with the residents, there wouldn't be so much instability with these programs and smearing campaigns. I am hoping the training environments of all will improve, but in honesty the realistic chances of them improving are probably near zero, hence why people stay away.
 
Unfortunately all of these programs listed above use **** load of gaslighting or some sort of manipulation. If it was an issue with the residents, there wouldn't be so much instability with these programs and smearing campaigns. I am hoping the training environments of all will improve, but in honesty the realistic chances of them improving are probably near zero, hence why people stay away.
Unstable attendings = unstable program....Buyer beware.
 
Any prospective applicants should cross Jefferson off their list. Toxic culture from residents all the way to the top, unlikely to change.. stay away.
 
On what basis are you making these claims? What is your experience with this program?
for what reason do you have to try defending this malignant program? To identify me and get me punished? Just look at this thread from over a decade ago. Nothing has changed - maybe some attendings are different, but the issues still stand.
 
Last edited:
for what reason do you have to try defending this malignant program? To identify me and get me punished? Just look at this thread from over a decade ago. Nothing has changed - maybe some attendings are different, but the issues still stand.
Your response is telling. Since you are making these claims about a program and trying to steer applicants away, they should probably know why you feel this way or you should at least provide some evidence for your claims. You posted in two threads stating that it is a malignant program yet you provided no details except a link to a thread that is 15 years old at this point and no longer relevant at all.
I would encourage prospective applicants to take these types of posts that attempt to label a program as "malignant" or "toxic" with a large grain of salt. Consider that the poster may have a personal vendetta against the program for whatever reason. Especially one that has not went unmatched in recent memory. Do your own research, talk to residents at the program, do an externship, see for yourself on interview day. Be wary of posters on this site who have nefarious motives.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your response is telling. Since you are making these claims about a program and trying to steer applicants away, they should probably know why you feel this way or you should at least provide some evidence for your claims. You posted in two threads stating that it is a malignant program yet you provided no details except a link to a thread that is 15 years old at this point and no longer relevant at all.
I would encourage prospective applicants to take these types of posts that attempt to label a program as "malignant" or "toxic" with a large grain of salt. Consider that the poster may have a personal vendetta against the program for whatever reason. Especially one that has not went unmatched in recent memory. Do your own research, talk to residents at the program, do an externship, see for yourself on interview day. Be wary of posters on this site who have nefarious motives.
I dont see how any of that is no longer relevant? Everything in that thread is still exactly true lol. It starts at the top. How about the fact that we have a history of non cats quitting?

I don’t disagree with you though - please extern here and see how awful the vibes are
 
Last edited:
I dont see how any of that is no longer relevant? Everything in that thread is still exactly true lol. It starts at the top. How about the fact that we have a history of non cats quitting?

I don’t disagree with you though - please extern here and see how awful the vibes are
Non categorical interns quit from all types of programs all over the country pretty frequently. Often it is because the transition from dental school/GPR/private practice to OMFS residency is jarring, stressful, and they were not fully prepared and/or expecting it. I would be more concerned if a program had a history of categorical residents quitting/transferring.
 
Non categorical interns quit from all types of programs all over the country pretty frequently. Often it is because the transition from dental school/GPR/private practice to OMFS residency is jarring, stressful, and they were not fully prepared and/or expecting it. I would be more concerned if a program had a history of categorical residents quitting/transferring.
4/4 last year is a concern… looking like some leaving this year too