OMFS Turmoil

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omsdread

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, here is the deal, I am at a program that I am not feeling challenged enough, its great for private practice but I want more...two questions:

1- how hard is it to transfer to another program, and what are some of the things to have squared away before leaving a program.

2- Could anyone PM me if they know any programs that have open PGY-1 spots?

Thanks guys, I came into the specialty to find something else to excel at, a challenge.. help me out.

Word of advice to applicants this year; don't listen or take for fact anything senior resident tell you, they twist things to make the program more attractive..be vigil and pay attention to how they word the answers to your questions.

Please guys, I know you want to know the program I am at, but please respect the sensitivity of the matter, I cannot divulge my location.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok guys, here is the deal, I am at a program that I am not feeling challenged enough, its great for private practice but I want more...two questions:

1- how hard is it to transfer to another program, and what are some of the things to have squared away before leaving a program.

2- Could anyone PM me if they know any programs that have open PGY-1 spots?

Thanks guys, I came into the specialty to find something else to excel at, a challenge.. help me out.

Word of advice to applicants this year; don't listen or take for fact anything senior resident tell you, they twist things to make the program more attractive..be vigil and pay attention to how they word the answers to your questions.

Please guys, I know you want to know the program I am at, but please respect the sensitivity of the matter, I cannot divulge my location.

Wow.. I'm sorry you're so unhappy at your program! If I may.. can I ask at least what state you're in? Why did you choose that program in the first place? Did you complete an externship at this program before applying? (this sounds like your biggest mistake.. ie not doing a 2+wk externship prior) What aspect of OMFS scope are wanting more exposure to that you feel is lacking at your program? You know you can always do a fellowship year or two somewhere when you finish. I wouldn't go bailing out just yet. :) OMFS is a tough road (for so many reasons) but it is also one of the most rewarding careers there is (for so many reasons). I wish you all the best! :thumbup:

thanks for the PM's guys but, do you have any resources that can show openings for pgy-1?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the PM's guys but, do you have any resources that can show openings for pgy-1?

Sorry, no. I don't know of any.

IMHO: To be honest.. even if you do try and bail on this program to attend another. What makes you think another program would want to take someone who "may" change their mind again and bail on them too.

You may have wanted to do a bit more research prior to picking your current program. (that is what externships are for) I'm not trying to be harsh... but I just want to you be realistic.

I really feel that you should probably stick it out in your current program (all OMFS programs are demanding and challenging... its a hard 4-6 f@c&i#g years no matter what program you're in) :) If you feel at the end of it you are still deficient in a particular area of our specialty, then complete a fellowship year in that area (H/N, Cosmetics, Orthognathics, Craniofacial, etc) when you're done.

Good luck. I wish you all the best.

Sorry, no. I don't know of any.

IMHO: To be honest.. even if you do try and bail on this program to attend another. What makes you think another program would want to take someone who "may" change their mind again and bail on them too.

You may have wanted to do a bit more research prior to picking your current program. (that is what externships are for) I'm not trying to be harsh... but I just want to you be realistic.

I really feel that you should probably stick it out in your current program (all OMFS programs are demanding and challenging... its a hard 4-6 f@c&i#g years no matter what program you're in) :) If you feel at the end of it you are still deficient in a particular area of our specialty, then complete a fellowship year in that area (H/N, Cosmetics, Orthognathics, Craniofacial, etc) when you're done.

Good luck. I wish you all the best.

If he's at the program Im thinking he's in, then according to my friend, "he be ****ed." lol

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys..keep it coming

Last edited:
I am looking for a facial cosmetic fellowship or a craniofacial surgery fellowship with cosmetic surgery component. Do you have any recommendation or experience to share with me? How about Saint Louis OMS fellowship with Dr. Noble?