OMM as CME?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SeeSo

I'm preparing to apply to schools for the incoming class of 2006. What are the possibilities of learning OMM as continuing medical education (CME)?

I am interested in osteopathic schools, but my aspirations have been shot down by professors, advisors, and parents. It seems they like to give the impression that they are open-minded, yet are not. My parents are supportive, albeit not entirely convinced that a D.O. degree is equal to an M.D. I think they are more afraid that my future will be more difficult being a D.O. instead of an M.D.

I realize there is the entire philosophy of osteopathic medicine and have read "The D.O.'s," but I might end up trying to attend the most "holistic" allopathic school I can find. However, I think OMM is an important option for treating patients, and that's the reason for my question: what are the possibilities for learning OMM after med school?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

CS

Members don't see this ad.

Some words of advice...

Today you can find osteopathic physicians on staff at just about every single academic medical center.

Osteopathic physicians have more than made a dent into the allopathic world. DO's are in some pretty impressive academic power slots througout this country.

To think that there still exists the level of bias and prejudice against DO's is simply incorrect.

This decision of yours is just that. It is your decision. The best advice anyone can give you is to seek and find a program that you feel comfortable in, be that osteopathic or allopathic programs.

The guise of the DO degree not having as much respect or value as a MD degree is pure fallacy, and simply no longer true.

Gather as much information as possible, and allow yourself to make an educated decision on what you wish to do with your futre.

Best of luck to you.

CS

Also in answer to your question, yes if you are an MD you can take OMM later. My school offers CME in OMT and we have MD's come take the course.

Boy that paragraph looks like alphabet soup!

Billie