OMM Lab hygiene

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drfosho

UF Alum
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody else notice that nobody washes their hands after OMM/OMT/OPP lab? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah we got a 15 minute lecture on hygeine and stuff our first day in the lab. I guess they want us to shower or something. Told us we could get gigged for unprofessionalism for stinking. Hope my partner was listening.

Members don't see this ad :)
we had a pretty fun omm lab today since prior to omm a group of approx 100 of us had our first gross anatomy lab. Needless to say, we learned that if you wear a tee shirt under your scrubs for gross, you should probably bring a different tee shirt for omm--especially if you have it right after. It was quite the smell in the omm room if you can imagine.

Guys it's very important that you always wash your hands. My cousin is a second year at KCUMB and they have a swine flu outbreak among the first year class there this week. Imagine how many people were exposed during OMM? They're keeping the first and second years separated and hoping it doesn't spread.

Guys it's very important that you always wash your hands. My cousin is a second year at KCUMB and they have a swine flu outbreak among the first year class there this week. Imagine how many people were exposed during OMM? They're keeping the first and second years separated and hoping it doesn't spread.

We're all going to get swine flu anyway in a few months.

Ahh, hygene threads always make me laugh.

Quick survey.

1. T/F Our bodies have an entire army devoted to killing tiny weeny bad guys?

2. Y/N I wash my hands between paying for fast food and sitting down to eat.

3. Y/N When getting drive through, I always wash my hands between paying and eating.

4. Y/N I understand that money, and by connection my wallet, are very dirty thing.

5. T/F I don't live in a plastic bubble insulating myself from the outside world.

Quick survey.

3. Y/N When getting drive through, I always wash my hands between paying and eating.

4. Y/N I understand that money, and by connection my wallet, are very dirty thing.

5. T/F I don't live in a plastic bubble insulating myself from the outside world.

These are good points. Wash your hands all you want, as soon as you touch the door knob to the lab you might as well have just shaken hands with all 200 of your classmates.

Even so a surgeon once told me that even with pre-op surgical scrub you are only "knocking down" the amount of pathogen on your hands. You'd be better off boiling your hands for 1 minute.

We have those foam soap dispensers that everyone uses in OMM lab. Don't really need to get more crazy than that.

And thankfully OMM is in the morning, gross lab in the afternoon

We have hand sanitizer dispensers around the OMM Lab next to the table wipes, which I think is a nice solution.

Considering all the normal flora on your skin anyway, what's the big deal? I have a lot of faith in my immune system!

Quick survey.

1.F
2.N
3.N
4.N
5.T

Howd i do?

Quick survey.

I always marvel at the people that won't shake your hand for "fear of germs" but then go to walmart and put their hands on the shopping cart. Yes, we spread who knows what by not constantly washing our hands but, this is what we have those great immune systems for.