NYCDO1

5+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hi,

I have been a long time lurker but finally decided to ask for your help, as I am not sure how else to get information. I like OMM, and I have been considering just doing an OMM residency (in the NYC area). I was wondering if any of you knew anything about physicians that only practice OMM-- is it practical in private practice? How does this work? I have a few OMM physicians at school, but they are all academic which I am not interested in, and I do not want to offend them by asking how private practice OMM works. Thank you.

Hernandez

Paranoid and Crotchety...
10+ Year Member
May 14, 2004
knee deep in dog muck and crusty jugglers......
Status
Attending Physician
there isn't a straight residency, all the OMM docs I know who practise nothing but OMM are either IM or FM who either do a 1 year OMM fellowship or just take lots of CME courses and perform it on their own. the clinicians I know who do only OMM seem to be doing well financially.

J-Rad

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2003
With my Children Of The Corn
Status
Attending Physician
If you want to do a straight OMM (often title NMM [neuromuscular medicine]) residency you apply for the two year residency. You'll also have to apply for a one year traditional rotating internship (TRI. So three years total: TRI+residency) as, to my knowledge, most programs are not linked. My experience is that, outside the DO med schools, almost all OMM practices are private practice. Given the predominance of private practice in the field, I doubt anyone would get terribly offended if you asked about it. If you're really that worried just call up some PP folk and ask. BTW I went to school in Maine and there were a good few private OMM practices.

http://www.academyofosteopathy.org/paao/residencies might be helpful (realize that the residency durations in the first set of bullets is after the TRI which isn't well spelled out on that page)

NYCDO1

5+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
thank you for the responses, but is an OMM cash only practice sustainable in the ny area for a newbie? It would probably take some time to have enough patients that are willing to give you money for something insurance covers with someone else. I don't know why, I just feel bad asking people I don't know about their practices... perhaps its too intrusive?

May 13, 2010
Status
Non-Student
check out southampton hospital and Dr Braun they are doing it in hospital/clinic and nursing homes

elftown

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
May 23, 2010
Status
There are also felowships after a FM residency. I know a few docs with OMM clinics who only did an internship

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
There are also felowships after a FM residency. I know a few docs with OMM clinics who only did an internship
I know of two in my area that run cash based practices after only completing an internship.