OMM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCDO1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been a long time lurker but finally decided to ask for your help, as I am not sure how else to get information. I like OMM, and I have been considering just doing an OMM residency (in the NYC area). I was wondering if any of you knew anything about physicians that only practice OMM-- is it practical in private practice? How does this work? I have a few OMM physicians at school, but they are all academic which I am not interested in, and I do not want to offend them by asking how private practice OMM works. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

there isn't a straight residency, all the OMM docs I know who practise nothing but OMM are either IM or FM who either do a 1 year OMM fellowship or just take lots of CME courses and perform it on their own. the clinicians I know who do only OMM seem to be doing well financially.

If you want to do a straight OMM (often title NMM [neuromuscular medicine]) residency you apply for the two year residency. You'll also have to apply for a one year traditional rotating internship (TRI. So three years total: TRI+residency) as, to my knowledge, most programs are not linked. My experience is that, outside the DO med schools, almost all OMM practices are private practice. Given the predominance of private practice in the field, I doubt anyone would get terribly offended if you asked about it. If you're really that worried just call up some PP folk and ask. BTW I went to school in Maine and there were a good few private OMM practices.

http://www.academyofosteopathy.org/paao/residencies might be helpful (realize that the residency durations in the first set of bullets is after the TRI which isn't well spelled out on that page)

thank you for the responses, but is an OMM cash only practice sustainable in the ny area for a newbie? It would probably take some time to have enough patients that are willing to give you money for something insurance covers with someone else. I don't know why, I just feel bad asking people I don't know about their practices... perhaps its too intrusive?

check out southampton hospital and Dr Braun they are doing it in hospital/clinic and nursing homes

There are also felowships after a FM residency. I know a few docs with OMM clinics who only did an internship

There are also felowships after a FM residency. I know a few docs with OMM clinics who only did an internship

I know of two in my area that run cash based practices after only completing an internship.