Aug 20, 2010
New York City
Status
Medical Student
Definitely is. It looks like a form of lymphatic pump.
my athletic trainer for my college team did that for me when i sprained my ankle. i doubt its OMM because shes a a PT not a DO and if it is OMM, then i guess any physical touching can be called OMM. that guy certainly is not a DO.

Jun 8, 2010
Status
my athletic trainer for my college team did that for me when i sprained my ankle. i doubt its OMM because shes a a PT not a DO and if it is OMM, then i guess any physical touching can be called OMM. that guy certainly is not a DO.

Nope. He's an MD. I think that looks like OMM, in theory, but I don't know for sure whether it is classified as such or not.

BTW, GSP is the MAN!!!

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
I didn't watch the video but there were a couple of PTs in my med school class and when we'd learn various OMM techniques they were often the same as or very similar to things that they learned in PT school.

Dr Oops

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2009
Status
Medical Student
The guy says hes trying to drain fluids through the inguinal lymph nodes, lymphatic flow is core omm 101 stuff, the specific way they were doing it isnt a technique ive seen. But he would definately benefit from some omm if thats what GSPs problem is.

Aug 20, 2010
New York City
Status
Medical Student
I didn't watch the video but there were a couple of PTs in my med school class and when we'd learn various OMM techniques they were often the same as or very similar to things that they learned in PT school.
yeah i guess their either similar or the same techniques used by both professions lol.

that guy is mad diesel, im hoping i can look like that by the time i start my first OMM class hahaha

Cheshyre

Hooray Bikes!
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
Le Mitten.
Status
Medical Student
Just to add on, one of the profs here at COMP used to be a PT before he became a DO. If I remember correctly (come on, I'm not THAT good of a student), he said something along the lines of how there's overlap between the techniques used. However, the strengths/focus of each profession are different.

Also, I remember reading something written by a non-DO that looked a lot like muscle energy.

EDIT:

So, Muscle Energy is apparently called Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation among PTs. With Athletic Trainers, it's Neuromuscular Inhibitory technique.

Last edited:

p30doc

Ever true and unwavering
10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I have another shocker for you guys, chiros do hvla! A ton of omm is relevant to pt/athletic training/sports med so it is used by a lot of different folks. Of course they don't learn it under the umbrella of omm, besides foreign trained osteopaths.

The video just looks like effleurage/petrissage to me.

Cheshyre

Hooray Bikes!
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
Le Mitten.
Status
Medical Student
I have another shocker for you guys, chiros do hvla! A ton of omm is relevant to pt/athletic training/sports med so it is used by a lot of different folks. Of course they don't learn it under the umbrella of omm, besides foreign trained osteopaths.

I wonder how it came to be though - did each profession come to the same techniques through independent development?

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student

OMM has a lot of overlap with a lot of different fields. However, most of the time it seems like OMM did come first ... ;)

With regard to HVLA. We have a DC -> DO in my class, and it seems to me like there is quite a bit of overlap with HVLA. However, from what I can gather, it seems like this is about the only area of overlap and that DCs don't really utilize any of the other basic techniques, ME, CS, BLT, etc, or do some of the diagnostic/screening spinal tests before treating.