Omnicare Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baronzb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview for Omnicare, dispensing pharmacist soon. I do not know what to expect about the interview or the job. What are the main functions of a dispensing pharmacist at Omnicare, what level of clinical expectations are placed on them, and how will past retail work inform him/her at the LTC job?

What is the interview like? What questions do they ask? What does the manager tend to want to know/hear?

What is the potential to move into IV or DUR/input work after dispensing? Is a dispensing pharmacist there strictly a dispenser? Thank you for your time! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Have you ever been in a LTC? From my experience the pharmacist at product verification has no clinical duties and simply verifies the correct medication. The data entry pharmacists just verify that the tech entered the script correctly the the computer and resolves any confusion/issues by calling the prescriber. Out of 40 pharmacists maybe 1 or 2 will work with sterile compounding and 1-2 will visit the sites to make clinical recommendations (not directly to patients). Obviously Omnicare might be a lot different (as a matter of fact didn't CVS buy them?). I'm guessing their key focus will be accuracy.

Reactions: 1 users
Who does the DUR then? Is there any switch up between the different roles? Is it hard to shift between them?

The ad just mentioned, "dispensing pharmacist." ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Been a few years since I spent any time at Omnicare, but all I saw was pharmacists verifying prescriptions and staying late.

Reactions: 1 user
How did this interview go. I've been working in Omnicare for nearly 6 years. Yep, we did just get bought out by cvs and should be switching to cvs health insurance next year. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing. So far everything is great though. CVS left the omnicare name intact and everything is business as usual.

i'm gonna be interviewing for Omnicare in a few days, any advice??? clinical questions i should prepare for???

i'm gonna be interviewing for Omnicare in a few days, any advice??? clinical questions i should prepare for???

I have worked for Omnicare almost 6 months. I can shed a little light here. They do the interview in 2 parts.

First, a recruiter will talk to you over the phone and ask pretty general questions. It lasted about 15 minutes for me. She asked me how I got in to pharmacy, where I had been working since graduation in May, and a couple performance-based interview questions. If you are not familiar with those, it's the "tell me about a time...." stuff. I had one question about how I resolve conflict in the workplace and another about how I handle stressful situations or prioritize tasks. Also, they ask if you have ever worked for CVS before in any capacity, because if you have they have to make sure you are rehirable. I felt this interview was fairly straightforward. I would recommend to have a copy of your CV handy to look at so you can have interesting things to talk about or reference.

If you pass this initial phone screening, the recruiter will set up a second interview with your local Omnicare manager. This lasted about 45 min and was almost entirely performance-based interview questions. Similar stuff to before, I guess they must not share information. The manager asked if I have ever worked under metrics before, had experience in LTC, felt comfortable leading a team and working alone, and if I was ok with scheduled on-call rotation. Lastly she took me on a tour of the facility.

No clinical questions.

Important things to think about:

- Is the Omnicare you might be working for a hub or a outlying location? This will determine your hours and number of staff you will be working with. The hubs are 24/7, while the smaller facilities are M-F with some Saturday hours. The size of the facility will affect the staff, the workflow, if you have any on-call responsibilities after hours (which sucks), the schedule, and what your daily duties are.

- What position are you interviewing for? Different pharmacist areas include initial verification, dispensing, sterile/nonsterile compounding, narcotics. The posting you applied for probably specified. You will likely be trained in all areas but have a primary focus.

- Why LTC? You need a better answer then "it's not retail". Consider what you expect to gain from and contribute to this area of pharmacy.

Hope this helps and good luck with your interview!

I thought LTC is where careers go to die, not where you're supposed to contribute to pharmacy. Lol wut

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I thought LTC is where careers go to die, not where you're supposed to contribute to pharmacy. Lol wut

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

OP was asking for help with the interview, I was simply giving them things to think about.

Do I personally feel this way? No. LTC is boring, and at times annoying dealing with dumb nurses, but it serves a purpose and at the end of the day is a paycheck.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, you wouldn't happen to be at the Omnicare in Portland would you? I've been wondering about interning with them.

Unfortunately no! :) Omnicare would be an interesting intern position if they would let you spend some time with the consultant pharmacists.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately no! :) Omnicare would be an interesting intern position if they would let you spend some time with the consultant pharmacists.

Do they have pharmacists that solely do consultations for them or is that only a side role for some of them?

Do they have pharmacists that solely do consultations for them or is that only a side role for some of them?

The pharmacist's that do consulting spend 100% of their time doing that. It's a separate role entirely and they work at the facilities doing chart reviews. There a some sort of requirements as to how often facilities must be visited and how many charts per day, but I don't know that information. I see a lot of documentation from our guy about recommendations to the doctors about stepping down controlled substance use, or documenting what things are used for, or discontinuing duplicate therapies.

The pharmacist's that work in the pharmacy have no role in that area, we do verification and dispensing, sterile and non-sterile compounding. We keep busy! No time to look at charts.

Last edited:
What is the pay in LTC/mail-order compared to retail? The job seems less stressful but also really boring. At least it CVS the day goes by super fast... at my LTC rotation I found myself looking at the clock every 10 minutes. Plus it seemed like at least half of the pharmacists there were only part time which was kind of strange.

What is the pay in LTC/mail-order compared to retail? The job seems less stressful but also really boring. At least it CVS the day goes by super fast... at my LTC rotation I found myself looking at the clock every 10 minutes. Plus it seemed like at least half of the pharmacists there were only part time which was kind of strange.

I am making more than my hospital friends and comparable to my retail friends. In my area, hospital is about $45-50/hr, retail is about $55-60/hr, and I am making $56/hr. Really good for an area that the cost of living is pretty low. Sure my job isn't the most exciting and can feel routine at times..., but I have a fairly set M-F schedule, get an hour lunch, only work every 5th weekend, and have the opportunity to make more money by taking the on-call phone after hours ($50 per night, then hourly [min 2hr] if we have to come in for anything). Other pros of this job include I rarely have to talk on the phone and never have to deal with the public. No part timers here, we have 5 full time pharmacists and 14 full time technicians.

Hi Litha!
I went for an interview at Omnicare, LTC Pharmacy in VA today. I am a new graduate and left the residency in the middle of the program due to the family issue.

I felt like the interview went really well. At the end of the interview, I was told by my interviewer that I have such a great clinical skill, if I don't get a job at Omnicare, I will get a job at somewhere else. I think it was kind of weird. My interview didn't ask me for the references either at the end of my interview, though I provided them in my primary application when I submitted it.
My question is:
1. Did the interviewer ( Pharmacist Manager) ask for your references at the end of your interview since you were offered a job?
2. Did you know you are going to get a job at the end of your interview? How soon did they let you know?

Thank you in advance.!

Hi Litha!
I went for an interview at Omnicare, LTC Pharmacy in VA today. I am a new graduate and left the residency in the middle of the program due to the family issue.

I felt like the interview went really well. At the end of the interview, I was told by my interviewer that I have such a great clinical skill, if I don't get a job at Omnicare, I will get a job at somewhere else. I think it was kind of weird. My interview didn't ask me for the references either at the end of my interview, though I provided them in my primary application when I submitted it.
My question is:
1. Did the interviewer ( Pharmacist Manager) ask for your references at the end of your interview since you were offered a job?
2. Did you know you are going to get a job at the end of your interview? How soon did they let you know?

Thank you in advance.!

I PM'd you