Omnicare (LTCF) anyone?

Started by Sure2Pass
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sure2Pass

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did some research and its been about 6 years since anyone posted about them.

I have an interview with Omnicare this week, and just trying to prep for it. I'm struggling to find out HOW they do what they do. I know it's LTCF, but does the pharmacist go into each long term care facility? Are they stationed at one large LTCF? Or is the business centralized and then the meds are delivered to each LTCF? Excuse my ignorance, but not finding too much out at the pace I want to. So please tell me what you know about the company, and a typical day for the pharmacist. Also any resources you think I should check out to help me understand what goes on there or good tips for the interview. Thanks!
 
Did some research and its been about 6 years since anyone posted about them.

I have an interview with Omnicare this week, and just trying to prep for it. I'm struggling to find out HOW they do what they do. I know it's LTCF, but does the pharmacist go into each long term care facility? Are they stationed at one large LTCF? Or is the business centralized and then the meds are delivered to each LTCF? Excuse my ignorance, but not finding too much out at the pace I want to. So please tell me what you know about the company, and a typical day for the pharmacist. Also any resources you think I should check out to help me understand what goes on there or good tips for the interview. Thanks!

Ha funny, I was gonna make a post, I also have an interview and struggling with the same thing. Anyone got some info on the setup of the company? Sure2Pass, when is your interview and what city/state are you in?
 
Did some research and its been about 6 years since anyone posted about them.

I have an interview with Omnicare this week, and just trying to prep for it. I'm struggling to find out HOW they do what they do. I know it's LTCF, but does the pharmacist go into each long term care facility? Are they stationed at one large LTCF? Or is the business centralized and then the meds are delivered to each LTCF? Excuse my ignorance, but not finding too much out at the pace I want to. So please tell me what you know about the company, and a typical day for the pharmacist. Also any resources you think I should check out to help me understand what goes on there or good tips for the interview. Thanks!

I have a friend who works in one of their closed door facilities. She says she sits in one spot all day and either checks incoming orders on a computer or checks cassettes going out to LTCFs. She does not find it exciting or challenging but it is a steady paycheck and you do not have to work in retail and she has no interest in hospital or more clinical pharmacy.

Omnicare does also hire pharmacists who are assigned as consultant pharmacists or clinical pharmacists. I can not speak to their daily routines.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sure2pass and James can you please share how you got interviews? I am also interested in Omnicare. Did you apply online? If so please share the link or any info. Thanks.
 
I did an APPE there. I was at a regional "hub" so there was a lot more going on than in some locations. Some pharmacists stayed in an office style environment and worked in a way similar to hospital staffing: receiving orders and processing them to pt profiles. Others were involved with checking the blister packs/cassettes and compounding. There was 1-2 pharmacists who were designated to just doing the IV orders and following up with labs. This was basically lots of vanco/AG calculations and streamlining, but in this state you have no prescriptive authority, so you still had to call and make dosing recommendation, rather than change the dose yourself. There was one rph who was the consultant, and he'd hit up 1-2 homes per day and do all the chart reviews. Seemed like a pretty relaxed place. Semi casual dress, like jeans + polo.
 
My BFF just started working for them in January. It's a centralized location, and the meds are filled there and delivered at the end of the day. Some facilities do run 2 shifts, and if a patient needs something stat, the order can be transmitted to a local pharmacy and filled from there.

They don't do a lot of IV therapy relative to the number of orders they fill, but it's all new for him because he always worked in retail, including 15 years at Walgreens who canned him just before Christmas. 😡 Some LTCFs do care for people on ventilators and other similar things.

All LTCF charts must be reviewed by a pharmacist at least once a month, and they have people who do this. 😴 :laugh:

I do know a woman (used to work with her, actually) who now works at the grocery store down the street from me. She was a technician when I applied there 2 years ago (long story), and they probably would have hired me had they not already had a candidate (why, yes, I did walk in and ask for an application!) but said I probably didn't want to work there, because even though it was technically 1st shift only, there would often be people who would have to work until 9 or 10pm because that's how long it took to get everything finished and organized, and the pharmacists weren't paid by the hour either.
 
I applied online

You know I have also seen them advertise alot "online" via indeed.com, but was not so sure it was a reputable company. The write up was very generic to me. I feared sending my resume because I wasn't sure just who would receive it. They always appear to be hiring in the Atlanta metro area though.
 
Either checking cassettes/cards, putting rxs in, dealing with nurses' questions, and IVs. Each place is different, workload wise. There's also on-call.

What city are you applying to?
 
@JamesL1585 are you still planning on pursuing law or public policy? I remember reading your posts about that because I was briefly interested in IHS but went out there for interviews (not residency) and wasn't vibing it.
 
@JamesL1585 are you still planning on pursuing law or public policy? I remember reading your posts about that because I was briefly interested in IHS but went out there for interviews (not residency) and wasn't vibing it.

Yea IHS isnt the easiest place to work especially if you've been living in a metropolitan city your whole life. Where'd u go? I interviewed out there for residency in AZ and NM last year. Didn't get it though. They actually called me to offer me a job earlier this year, but I declined.

I'm definitely still going into public policy (most likely), law is still on the table but too expensive. Pharmacy future without residency looks pretty not so great.
 
Yea IHS isnt the easiest place to work especially if you've been living in a metropolitan city your whole life. Where'd u go? I interviewed out there for residency in AZ and NM last year. Didn't get it though. They actually called me to offer me a job earlier this year, but I declined.

I'm definitely still going into public policy (most likely), law is still on the table but too expensive. Pharmacy future without residency looks pretty not so great.
I went to school in FL. But I actually applied this year for a residency and matched.
 
Ltcf or omnicare=long hours and on call. You don't leave until everything is shipped and delivered. The good thing is you don't deal with the public but still get nurses calling you at night asking to give percocet from ekit without an order or how to flush a line. The management sucks since you be working with no help most of the time. Don't forget, you also working on holidays.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
 
My BFF now works one evening a week and every 6th weekend, which is a HUGE contrast from Walgreens. He also doesn't have to travel now either, which he really likes because he has 3 kids and his wife felt like a single parent.

I did meet a pharmacist one time who worked for an LTCF pharmacy (don't remember if it was Omnicare) who realized he had to get another job when he was called out at midnight on a holiday for a vinegar and water douche. 😛 Good heavens, if she was having that not-so-fresh feeling, just head down the street to the grocery store and purchase a Summer's Eve!

Yeah, yeah, I know LTCF doesn't operate that way. My now-deceased grandmother was having issues with low sodium, and my dad has too and it looks like I do too. One day, Dad said, "Next time I see her, I'm going to bring a bottle of salt tablets with me, and give them to her nurse and tell her to make sure she takes them!" I replied that he couldn't do this, and why.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad