OMS internships???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seablaster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have visited several websites of programs I was interested in applying to and I noticed several of them have available one year internships.

I was wondering if there is some unspoken understanding that once the year of internship is over, is that doctor a virtual lock of being admitted into the residency program? Otherwise, what would be the advantage of completing the internship other than an extra year of extensive training?

Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

seablaster said:
Any input would be appreciated.

I think an internship is a very good idea if you dont match the first year. it shows the program that you are committed to the training and it gives you an opportunity to "show off' how good you can be. From what I've seen if you are a good intern, most programs will take you the next year. If you suck, no way will they take you. Another advantage of the internship year is that most program directors or chairs will then essentially "go to bat" for you to try and get you in a program, if they like you.....which they will if you at all decent.

So the reasons are:

1. CV builder
2. Something to do for a year until next application time
3. You can take your boards again in that year to strengthen application
4. Good letter from the program director (and hopefully phone calls)
5. Show the program your at your committed, good, and can get along
6. So TX OMS has a new potential gay lover.

Feel free to add to this list.

Members don't see this ad :)
We are desperated for a qualified intern here at LSU shreveport. Our intern for the upcoming year had a change of plans. Anyone who wants an awesome experience and a chance for good letters of recommendation please call 318-675-6101 and inquire.

Bitters said:
keep begging clinic boy
Hey, Tuffy wants to talk with you. Something about a tossed salad. Enoy.