OMS with DDS/DMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ems5184

Denist (future)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been preparing for the DAT and on the Kaplan CD-ROM I came across a statement saying that to practice the specialty of oral surgery, you need to have a DMD degree. I thought the degree was the same as a DDS, or is this a new requirement. I figured it was just ignorance on the part of Kaplan. I figured someone here would know whats up with this.

Members don't see this ad.

Ignorance.

DDS and DMD degrees are the same thing.

What some oral surgeons have are MD degrees in addition to their DDS/DMD, and currently about half of the OMFS programs in the U.S. are 6-year dual degree programs that awards the resident with an MD degree after they complete the medical school portion of the residency.

HTH.

Ok thanks, thats what I figured. Kaplan may be good for reviewing for a test, but they dont know anything about what the careers are all about.

Do you know if the 6 yr programs are any easier or harder to get into than the 4 year programs?

How are the extra 2 years of medical school residency divided up?

It varies from program to program. Some programs require one to take 3 years of med school (MS2 and up), some only requires 2 years (MS3 and 4), some start the med school portion after 2nd year of residency, some do it after the 1st. Best inquire the programs directly when you are applying during your 3rd year of dental school.

HTH.