OMS's year by year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenFranklin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for the oms's in the making...i admire the field so much-- the manual and intellectual dedication humbles me- congrats to all of you involved and seeking.

i wanted to know some realities and practicalities:
how do you all pay for the extra 6 yrs? anyone helping? can you work while you work? get paid ever?
any breaks- vacation? on call often? have to repeat any material as a part of medical school cirriculum? anatomy? pharmacology? MD for an OMS...meaning you can be a GP as well?
how much emphasis on TRAUMA?
workwise, what is the structure of the post doc yrs?

take your time,
cheerio

Members don't see this ad.

BenFranklin said:
i wanted to know some realities and practicalities:
how do you all pay for the extra 6 yrs? anyone helping? can you work while you work? get paid ever?

YOU GET PAID FOR 3-6 OF THOSE YEARS DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU ARE

any breaks- vacation? on call often? have to repeat any material as a part of medical school cirriculum? anatomy? pharmacology? MD for an OMS...meaning you can be a GP as well?
how much emphasis on TRAUMA?
workwise, what is the structure of the post doc yrs?

ALL OF THIS DEPENDS ON THE PROGRAM YOU ATTEND. YOU CAN BE A GP WITH YOUR MD IF YOU MAINTAIN THE MEDICAL LICENSE.

Holy crap Franklin thats a Lot of questions in one post. Good thing TEXAS OMFS just passed his step ones so he is at his prime and smart enough to answer them all. Actually, you'd think that after passing those boards he'd be able to answer more of those questions than he did above.

About vacation.....Texas OMFS is on vacation, its called the medical school part of your training. You also get vacation from you regular on service time as well.

As for the didactics of the medical school part, texas OMFS is right, it differs from residency to residency, some make you do the second year of medical school to boost your didactic knowledge, some don't, you just start in year three after taking and PASSING step one medical boards.

As for trauma, well i'm new but i imagine it just depends on the type of program you go to. If the city you go to is a ****hole....guess what....lots of trauma...and it works the other way around also.

As for schedule......differs from program to program.

Later homie.