OMT on the ACOFP boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_almondjoy_do

So Very Happy to Be Here!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

How much do I have to study, and what are the best books to use? Can I still use the blue book and Savarese (is that book still the one everyone uses)? Or should I waste money on all the new OMT books I'm finding on Amazon.com?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the DO boards in October. To be honest there wasn't all that much OMT on the exam. The worst part is the practical exam, and I used the OMT Review book to review for that.

Good luck!

Thanks. I thought that much based on the Inservice exams and Step 3, but didn't want to take a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. For those who have successfully passed ACOFP boards, which books do you guys recommend. Any online Q-bank? Also, which books did you use for the OMT practical? Someone posted OMT review book... which one? Any insight on how that practical is set up? Can anyone give us an idea of how that day went? Do they randomly assign a partner, expect you to actually perform OMT on each other, attire recommendations (scrubs vs ???), how many cases, how long the actual practical was, etc. Any info is greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

Hi. For those who have successfully passed ACOFP boards, which books do you guys recommend. Any online Q-bank? Also, which books did you use for the OMT practical? Someone posted OMT review book... which one? Any insight on how that practical is set up? Can anyone give us an idea of how that day went? Do they randomly assign a partner, expect you to actually perform OMT on each other, attire recommendations (scrubs vs ???), how many cases, how long the actual practical was, etc. Any info is greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

I took the boards in March of 2009. As I recall we paired up ourselves. Wore regular clothes. First you sit at a table and they give you 3-4 scenarios of a separate patients. Say one was in a car accident, one fell off a bike, one stepped of the curb and jolted her hip, etc. You have to do a quick soap note about what your diagnosis would be and how you would treat the patient. Be sure you put somatic dysfunction on every patient for one of the diagnosis.

For the practical you don't even perform the entire technique, it's more of a walk through and explain what technique you would use. So if you were going to use HVLA on the C-spine they have you set up the positioning without the thrust. It is super, super easy. Do not stress about it.

I didn't study for the practical since I use OMT every day. For the written I ordered two practice exams books off of amazon and did as many questions as I could during rotations and at home to brush up on my weak points. It's really about the same as step III