On becoming a Pharmacy Faculty...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maliciousdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what is the best way to get a faculty position at a pharmacy college? After you get a PharmD, what do you have to do? I have heard that you need a 2yr residency, or fellowship. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what is the best way to get a faculty position at a pharmacy college? After you get a PharmD, what do you have to do? I have heard that you need a 2yr residency, or fellowship. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. thanks!:)

We have a freshman faculty who graduated from USC in 07, did a PGY-1 Residency at USC and started teaching this fall.

I'm not sure how common it is, but teaching seems to be less popular than Retail in the sense that not many people seem to consider it as an option.

Thanks Farmercyst!
Does anyone know whether a residency or fellowship is required for a faculty position? I guess this depends on the position of the faculty....

I know that at least two of our new junior faculty did a PGY-1 residency before they were hired as faculty, and I suspect that several of the others did too. I've been told that it's definitely preferred to have the residency, but my suspicion is that, given the dire shortage of pharmacy faculty these days, if you were willing to move and/or take a position at one of the newer schools, then you might be able to do it with just the PharmD and your past experiences working in a pharmacy, especially if you had above-average grades.