On-Call Pay for private MDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4ophtho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on staff at a level 1 trauma center in a large metropolitan hospital

The ophthalmologists on staff, including myself, cover call for the ER / inpatient consults / transfers to our hospital in one of the largest hospital networks in the state

Call is 1 week at a time

What is the going rate for reimbursement for taking call for a private MD?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am on staff at a level 1 trauma center in a large metropolitan hospital

The ophthalmologists on staff, including myself, cover call for the ER / inpatient consults / transfers to our hospital in one of the largest hospital networks in the state

Call is 1 week at a time

What is the going rate for reimbursement for taking call for a private MD?

Thanks!

A lot of hospitals still aren't paying their ophthalmologists for call. Those that were able to negotiate a stipend get between $1,200-$1,500 per week. I've never heard of anyone getting more than that.

A lot of hospitals still aren't paying their ophthalmologists for call. Those that were able to negotiate a stipend get between $1,200-$1,500 per week. I've never heard of anyone getting more than that.

The most I've heard of is $500/night ($3500/week), but I think that's the exception and not the rule. $150/night is the least I've heard of, but that group stopped taking call because they felt that $150 was not enough. From what I recall (someone correct me if I'm wrong), Level 1 and Level 2 centers must have ophthalmology (and of course various other surgical specialities) on call to keep classification and funding at their respective level.

While I think we as ophthalmologists should take call to provide coverage to our communities, I also think we should get some form of payment for doing so. How much is "fair" is harder to answer. From what I hear, I agree with hello lady! that most hospitals still aren't paying ophthalmologists for call.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to get paid $750 a night for call. It was great given I would only have to come in maybe once during any one week on call. The hospital wised up after a year of that! I currently get paid half of that.

In my area it is 3,000-5,000 per week of call for the on call ophthalmologist at these level 1 trauma centers.

It is not uncommon to have to do 1-2 open globes while on call and most patients do not have insurance

Perhaps most hospitals aren't paying ophthalmologists to take call, but these level 1 trauma centers that are required to have an on call ophthalmologist and do not have a residency training program are struggling to maintain ophthalmologists on staff.

Most private ophthalmologists do not want to take trauma call and instead join staff at hospitals that do not have any call responsibilities, even with these stipends

Last edited: